Processed our 6 Meaties..Pic heavy *Graphic* Update:DINNER!

Beautiful!! I'm so inspired..you have definetly made this look way more easier than I have ever imaged.. I love the Pre-set-up pics. Very clean and very organized. May have to invest in those cornish X's for the fall......
D.gif

We sent 10 of our roos to freezer camp last week. Ours are barnyard mixes so I skin mine. Yours look so good I'm thinking about getting some cornish x's now. Oh and there is nothing like an adult beverage to seal the deal.

Now that makes me hungry!! Nice work on all the pics! Your thread has inspired hubby and I to bite the bullet and raise some Cornish Rocks - just ordered 25 of them that may ship tomorrow
ep.gif
We have a brooder set up already but will be building a tractor for them to live in for their short lives. Did you post a picture of where you have housed them? Can you post a picture of that if you have one? Thanks - really appreciate it and all the inspiration you have given us!!
pop.gif

Quote:
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
<----- hehehe I promise
smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you very much!! Simple seasonings for this one: Seasoned salt, and fresh sage & oregano. I think I'm going to brine the next one first! Yum!!

Quote:
The final weight of each bird was 6.6 lbs, 6.5 lbs 6.4 lbs, 6.2 lbs, 5.8 lbs and 5.4 lbs. Average weight: 6.15 lbs (My average would've been lower had we not lost some of our chickens the night before we culled)

I'm going do a final expense in the next post.

smile.png

Jessa

I thought I would figure out the final expense, so here goes:

(The final cost does not include freezer paper or freezer bags, as I am running out to get that stuff this morning, and unsure of the cost so far.)

Everything was purchased from Blue Seal:
16.00/50lb bag feed x 2 = 32.00
Additional 20 lbs feed= 6.40
1/2 bale of straw= 3.50
1 bale hay= 5.00
1.6 per chick x 10= 16.00

Total cost= $62.90 for 10 chickens

So, if I include the one we lost at 6 weeks, (i'm horrible with math, and it's easier that way!), that puts us at $6.29 per bird over a 7 week period.

Here's why the math isn't very accurate:
We lost one bird to unknown causes at 6 weeks, and 3 birds to a predator the day before we culled.
Keep in mind that the predator killed hens that probably would've dressed out a little more than 5 lb, and our littlest, who would've only dressed at maybe 2.5 (she was a runt). Had we been able to figure in their final weights, our total net average weight, would've been a bit lower.

That said, our known average is:

Total cost for 10 chickens=62.90
6.15lbs/per bird. at $6.29 per bird,
Final cost: $1.02/lb.

IF we figure the total cost, $62.90 and divide it amongst our remaining six, which is how we are doing it for our own records, since we only actually benefited six chickens....

total cost for 6 chickens =62.90
6.15lbs/per bird at 10.48 per bird
Final cost= $1.70/lb.

I am still happy with that number! Will be incredibly interesting to see my final costs and weights on the next batch. A lot of variables, from different hatchery, to number of chicks, hotter weather etc...

Thanks again to everyone, it's been exciting to read all the positive responses!!

-Jessa

Last edited:
Jessa I just noticed that you are from NH as well - which hatchery did you purchase your latest bunch from? I ordered from Schlecht but am curious if there is a hatchery that you know of closer to us to save on shipping costs. My birds with shipping will be $1.62 each. I am in Southern NH.

Quote:
Hi neighbor!
frow.gif
smile.png
I'm located in the Lakes Region, near Alton.
frow.gif
I did not actually order from a hatchery, but bought both batches of birds from different Blue Seals (they order them, and I just go in a pick them up), one in Rochester, and the latest, in Chichester. They receive birds from different locations, but I am not sure the actual hatcheries. The Rochester Blue Seal is 1.60/bird, at Chichester, I just paid 1.65/bird, so your price of 1.62 is pretty good! I would LOVE to find them cheaper though myself!! My dad thinks I'm nuts to pay 1.60... he used to pay .50 a bird...course that was 20 years ago!

-Jessa

Last edited:
I would LOVE to find them cheaper though myself!! My dad thinks I'm nuts to pay 1.60... he used to pay .50 a bird...course that was 20 years ago!

-Jessa

you could raise them yourself!

But anyway, what a delightful thread. Your attitude ROCKS, and what a wonderful way to bond as a family, harvesting your own hard-earned food. BTW your table was beautifully presented! I wanted to eat my monitor!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom