Processed the evil roosters today!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by homesteadmomma, Jul 16, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I rescued over 50 birds. Little did I know I was getting about 20 mini T-rex. They show no mercy and will draw blood anywhere they can reach. They are fed daily and also free range. So they are not starving. They have also been wormed twice to rule that out. They are just evil. Today my oldest let them out, and about five started chasing her and she came running in the house screaming with blood running down her leg. That was the last straw. So at approx 12-14 weeks, we started butchering the barred rocks. Needless to say they are quite tiny, and it will take at least 5 to feed two adults and 3 toddlers, maybe even more. So we butchered 4 of them and one of my 4 month old RSL roos, quite small as well. I am going to bake half and fry half and see what the next course of action is for the remainders. I think I will most likely can the rest, but if they are really tasty I will just freeze them. I felt a great deal of satisfaction as I threw the last one in a bowl of water. Partly because I know there will be no more evil roosters drawing blood on my chickens, and partly because I did it all by myself under the watchful eye of my three young daughters. They are super excited about eating the chicken for dinner!

2. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Yay! and good job! I have quite a few young rooster myself, but fortunately, they are quite docile and get along. That isn't saving them from freezer camp this fall however. I think it is good that your girls are learning early where the food comes from and how to handle rowdy roosters in the future [​IMG]

3. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I was a bit concerned about the girls watching. They have seen other animals processed, but never their "pets". They were actually very interested in the parts, playing in the feathers, and poking the heads with sticks (go figure), even going and catching the next one in line. My youngest was a little concerned about the blood, but the oldest two just stood right beside me watching the entire time. I felt a bit bad processing the rescues, but they were treated well to the end, and it was all done very quickly with no misses or injuries. And we only had one flop away, which got a giggle out of all the girls.

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:I'm often surprised at how well kids handle these things, but not nearly as shocked as I am by how much grown-ups worry about it... [​IMG]

5. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Quote:Happy to read your about your experience and how you involved your children impressed me the most. Too often children are shielded from the realities of life and that serves no good purpose. Congratulations!

6. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Quote:"I'm often surprised at how well kids handle these things, but not nearly as shocked as I am by how much grown-ups worry about it... [​IMG]"

It's my guess that these children will grow up with a better understading and appreciation to this excercise than most grown ups today and that's a good thing and something we need to see more of.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:notice my signature....

yeah.. I have a few of those "birds" too.. can't wait til they go off to freezer camp...

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Too funny. I have 4 roos in my barnyard mix flock that I must dispose of when the time comes. Last weekend, I had to butcher my first chicken, an EE roo. It was disturbing for me at first, but it should be smooth sailing from here, now that I know what to expect. I'm glad you involved the kids. Mine are 6 & 8. Maybe I'll employ them on the next job. As far as eating, EE's are NOT known for their meat. It was a snack at best, and tough. The remaining chickens thought he was rather yummy though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    this is the first time Ive heard of bad behavior in barred rocks.. wow... I wonder what you rescued them from for them to be so aggressive.. you did everything possible to give them the bennifit of doubt that is was their prev nutrition and worming,, so it has to be that line of birds? I am very curious if you hatch any out of the hen you got or offspring of one of the aggressive roo's if that behavior personality would be passed on? very interesting...

I am so glad your children also were ready, I do think that maybe if there hadn't been some chasing going on, would they not be quite so ok with it,???? It does seem best when children learn where food comes from, early

blessed be )O(
    Pink

10. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Naw, the kids don't seem upset here unless it's a pet who is sick. Annika was playing with the "socks" last time. Only issues are when my kids know real life and death at school, and weird out other kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by