Processing 3 roos this weekend

Avalon1984

Songster
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Muskegon
I will process 3 of my young roos this weekend. I don’t look forward to the mess but to the peace and quiet that will soon return to my chicken coop. I hatched all of them myself so despite them being pesky I will be a little sad. Oh well. I guess they had a good life.
idunno.gif

This is one of my roos as a newborn
love.gif

74337_dsc00807.jpg

Hi! I'm going to be processing tomorrow also. I finally found someone to help and if I can't handle it, they can take over. I plan on processing 8-10 and some of them I have had since chicks and that makes me sad also. My kids are upset about one of the roos going tomorrow and they don't have to watch. I'm trying to help them understand that that roo had a great life and even left some offspring but this is his LAST job.

I hope everything goes great tomorrow. I'm sure your hens will thank you also!
smile.png

Quote:
Well thank you so much. I didn't get to do it yet. Not because I chickened out
tongue.png
but because I checked on my bees in the morning and extracted honey. Well, the bees found a hole in my bee suit and I am pretty much swollen up. Finally got the use of my hands again today so I'll have to do them next weekend. Some of them are bigger than the others. I am torn in letting the smaller ones grow a bit more or process them as well. I ams low so the max I can do per day is only 4.

I like to think that the final kindness I can bestow on the birds I raise for meat is to give them a quick, humane end, feeling gentle handling and hearing kind words right up to the end. There's a lot worse ways for a chicken to end his life. Hope you're feeling better soon, enjoy your well-earned meals!

Quote:
Thats 45mi if waters hot what ya gona do with rest of day.I can remember my grandmother walking back from chicken coop on Sunday morning wringing the neck and dunking it in hot water and plucking and gutting a old hen or roo. And soup was on table by noon with warm homemade bread and butter .ITs not all bad..cva34

Wow! Sorry about your weekend. Well my processing went ok. All I did was dunk the birds in the hot water and pluck them. I did not do any of the cutting. I was 1/2 hr late and felt like I would hold things up even more. I think next time I will be ready to do all of it. I will procees early in the am, in the shade, and will spray down with bug spray. Where we were at, has gnats and they really love dead chickens along with the flies.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom