Processing age for geese

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
I KNOW this must have been discussed previously, but a quick search turned up nothing. Can someone give me a short and sweet answer to when is the right age to process an embden? I assume that, like ducks, there are optimum times based on pin feather growth, but I'm mostly interested in is maximizing efficiency; ie, processing at the largest size possible in the shortest amount of time. I mean, if they reach their max weight in 10 weeks, there would really be no reason to keep feeding them until Christmas, right? But if they really keep putting on weight for a long time, and it's not just accumulating fat, there might be a reason to keep them longer. This is all assuming, of course, that I haven't totally fallen in love with them and change my mind about keeping them around...

I would like to know this too. I bought my first a couple weeks ago and named it December.
hide.gif

According to Holderread, geese are in full feather sometime between 9-12 weeks (look at their feathers/down to verify) and then again 6-10 weeks later. Don't butcher during molt for two reasons: A) the pin feathers are a pain to get out and you will curse your timing b) geese are not considered to be in prime flesh during molt.

I hope this helps.

Also, I highly recommend purchasing 'The Book of Geese" by David Holderread.

Quote:
Great Answer! I always run into problems when I try to answer this common question! BTW the Book of Geese is often hard to find (out of print?) get it from the author. google "Holderread" and when you get on his site look under "suggested reading".

Last edited:
Quote:
I heard that younger dogs are better meat-wise, just like most other meats. /shrug

Thanks for that
wink.png
i thourght my puppy was getting too old.......

Quote:
I heard that younger dogs are better meat-wise, just like most other meats. /shrug

Thanks for that
wink.png
i thourght my puppy was getting too old.......

Lol...

I use to live in a very diverse neighborhood, people eat a lot of different things. I've always been a curious person and constantly asked questions about non-traditional (by american standards) meat.

Back
Top Bottom