Normal Growth Rates for Pilgrim Geese

Lila123

Hatching
Dec 12, 2023
I have two 10 week old geese, unsexed. I would like to know what normal growth rates are for them.

Background:
Same dad, probably different mothers. They were sold to me as pilgrim geese, I don't know how accurate that is because the seller's flock was not colour true and she inherited the geese with the property, no history. My geese resemble their dad. We don't have many goose breeds in New Zealand though so maybe they are indeed pilgrims.
Issue:
While reasonably similar in stature, one of them has gained 300 grams over the past two weeks, now weighing 2.9kg. The other has gained 1.1kg, now weighing 4.6kg. This significant difference is why I'm concerned. They had a vet check two weeks ago and he said they were both in excellent health. He could not find a reason for their weight difference back then and said that the lighter one was well covered with fat and muscle. They are both still well covered.
So what is a normal growth rate for a pilgrim goose?
Before you ask:
They were the same size at hatching, one started growing faster than the other at about 2 weeks. They get three cooked meals a day which include maize meal, oats, boiled egg, mixed vegetables, and rice; I make enough that there will always be leftovers to reduce competition. They also get Sharpes duckling food and I give them a daily Niacin supplement. During the day they forage a mixed sward of edible plants and at night they sleep inside in a crate . None of them have shown any sign of ill health and I have had them since they were less than 24 hours old.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 33
awww they are beautiful Id love to see more pictures.
I started with 3 pilgrim goslings and one of them grew twice as fast as the others but they were all healthy.
With pilgrims, the males should be white with a little bit of gray, the females are gray with a little white. here's the male and female I still have. (the faster growing one was rehomed because I had 2 males/1 female and the ganders were fighting too much)

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 12
awww they are beautiful Id love to see more pictures.
I started with 3 pilgrim goslings and one of them grew twice as fast as the others but they were all healthy.
With pilgrims, the males should be white with a little bit of gray, the females are gray with a little white. here's the male and female I still have. (the faster growing one was rehomed because I had 2 males/1 female and the ganders were fighting too much)
Ta da! These are photos from the weekend, so that's how fast they grow and change.
That is encouraging, thank you. Your geese are beautiful.

Attachments

• Crumpet.jpg
    Crumpet.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Knees.jpg
    Knees.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Twinkie.jpg
    Twinkie.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom