Processing age for geese

Quote:
If I met any cannibals, they didn't fess up.
wink.png

Umm. Okay, I know not to process during the molt because of the pin feathers, but what I was trying to get at was optimum weight. I mean, are geese just as heavy and filled out at the time of the first molt as they are during the second? I would like to process them basically just as soon as they attain their maximum weight, rather than continue feeding them at a maintenance weight. So, right at the top of the growth curve, in other words, just as it levels off into a constant. What I'm asking is, do they reach their maximum weight at 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 20, 50, 710, what? What is the best age to process to maximize size and feeding efficiency (yes, avoiding the moult)? I don't know how else to word this.

Quote:
No after the first molt they are known as 'green' geese or Junior geese and they still have some growing to do. They are max tender and not as fat as they will be later. your curve flattens out usually around the end of October just before the 'winter molt' and that is when lots are harvested. Some will be fattened all the way into December to provide the Christmas goose (these are usually the ones that looked a little skimpy as green geese) These are general rules, hatch date and breed also helps determinf how they grow.

Back
Top Bottom