Processing at 13 weeks?

lizakn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Carlingford, NB Canada
I have meat kings that are scheduled for processing next week..when they will be 10 weeks old. The issue is, they aren't really that big. They are mostly free range, but also get the suggested amount of feed..and drink tons of water. I'd like to keep them a little longer to plump them up...but the next available date for processing isn't until August 19th, which would make them 13 weeks old. Is that too long to wait? People have told me 10 weeks old is usually max age...but then I've read on here that some go as long as 15 weeks.
Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

I think 13 weeks would be okay, especially if you only have a few. I think the max is because they stop efficiently converting food? I'm not sure, my chickens are mostly for a hobby, as pets and eggs.

Best of luck!
smile.png

I have meat kings that are scheduled for processing next week..when they will be 10 weeks old. The issue is, they aren't really that big. They are mostly free range, but also get the suggested amount of feed..and drink tons of water. I'd like to keep them a little longer to plump them up...but the next available date for processing isn't until August 19th, which would make them 13 weeks old. Is that too long to wait? People have told me 10 weeks old is usually max age...but then I've read on here that some go as long as 15 weeks.
Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

How small is "small"

They should be like 8-10lbs now

13 weeks they should be turkey sized chickens and eating a ridiculous amount of feed. How big would you like them to be?

They are Actually Small for being 9 weeks old. I have shown them to Friends of mine that have been raising meat hens for years...and even they said they seem small. They said its because I mostly free range them.
They will be no where near Turkey size by 13 weeks....I've raised turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom