Processing carcasses after predator attack.

nikbrown

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
So a month ago a pack of coyotes got our duck flock 😢

They took 4 of them off and left the other 5 decapitated. The temperature that night was 10degrees.... so when I found the 5 bodies in the morning they were frozen solid.

The only damage I could see was they were missing their necks and heads... so I threw them in the freezer thinking I may be able to salvage some meat from the sad situation.

I’ve processed ducks in the past (when we’ve had and excess of drakes).

Can I just partially defrost them and just cut off the breast and legs? Or is the meat no good because the blood wasn’t properly drained? Any ideas if I can salvage anything from this?

That was on my mind.... and one of the reasons I came to ask. Thanks for the reply!

It might be okay, but I would not. Disease and other risks aside, the meat likely wouldn't be as good due to stress/adrenaline. Our food is plentiful enough that I do not take risks in processing.

There’s a reason Moses forbade eating meat from animals torn by wild beasts. It’s dangerous. Plus, it’s gonna be a big headache, what with them all frozen and not yet eviscerated. As they thaw, any surviving microbial populations will quickly revive and spread. I hate waste too, but this isn’t worth risking the health of your family. Put them in the trash, not the compost pile—or better, bury them.

Back
Top Bottom