Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We ate our duck for dinner last night. And everyone loved it. My kids (3,4, and 9) had no problems eating it. Before, they would be upset unless it was a mean bird they weren't sad to see go, lol. After talking about happy birds vs sad cramped unloved ones they have decided that they would rather eat our happy yummy ones, and I have been given "permission" to do the rest of our extra birds. Pretty proud of my girls. And having my families support makes it a lot easier for me.

thumbsup.gif

Just got out of the shower and my DH is pouring me a glass of wine as I type.  :love
I'm ok with my pregnant wife not helping with chicken processing duty....

What excuse does a man have for not helping his wife?

Helping out might be nicer than pouring wine after the fact.

Just got out of the shower and my DH is pouring me a glass of wine as I type.  :love

I think every woman on here just fell in love with you!

He told me from the outset he will have nothing to do w/ killing or processing for food. He builds whatever I ask including killing station, helped me pick out a gun bought it for me, feeds them daily, goes and gets the sand for the roosting tray, cleans the roost tray. Helps in anything I need or ask him, except the killing and processing. It is just not in him to do, and I'm okay w/ that. I did need help getting the skin off the leg joint, and he helped w/ that, which really surprised me. These were not our birds, they were a lady's who couldn't bring herself to kill her roos and she was over run and really needing less to have to feed. I wouldn't have tried to tackle 9 by myself except to help her.

So those that skin, just how to you get the skin off the leg at that last joint, where you cut the leg off at?????? I pulled w/ everything I had, and I am not a weak person and I just couldn't get it.

I don't get the guys who can't kill an animal.... seems we have lost a bit of the ways of our ancestors.

Anyway, if you are skinning, should I assume you aren't scalding? Scalding seems to make the skin come off a bit easier. Are you cutting the feet off and then skinning or trying to get the skin down far enough and then cutting the joint?

Other than that, sometimes when skinning something it won't simply pull off, it's easier to pull on the skin and gently use the sharp knife to cut the skin away. I would slice straight down the leg and then work down and outward from that cut, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom