Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Slaughtered my first couple ducks today. The first one took a little longer to die than expected, but we refined our technique for #2. My husband stayed inside and wasn't a part of the ordeal at all. I am upset now and he lit into me for not killing #1 fast enough. I dont feel like I did anything wrong, as I did my best with the knowledge that I had. I don't like airing emotions online, but I'm not sure where else would even understand.

I did my first Saturday. Hugs, butchering is an emotional time, tempers flare a bit. I'd done a few roos a few days before,so had "practiced" my technique beforehand. And my duck still took longer than I expected. I used the broomstick method, and while cleaning figured out the neck broke cleanly and all, so thinking I did right and maybe just seemed that way... And also, while we do our best to provide as painless and humane a death as possible, crap happens. My first bird I processed was an older jerkface rooster. As much as I hated that bird I wanted a good death for him...but I bungled things. Didn't break his neckso my "dead" rooster got up after flopping around...with a crooked neck and I had to do it all over again. With shaken nerves, and an audience, it was horrid. Just remember, our birds have better lives than most. And even if we do mess up, its not because we dont care. And it sucks for that bird, but helps the next ones..so long as you can work up the courage to do it again. Took me a good year, but I'm slowly replacing factory farmed freezer birds with our own now.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I did my first Saturday. Hugs, butchering is an emotional time, tempers flare a bit. I'd done a few roos a few days before,so had "practiced" my technique beforehand. And my duck still took longer than I expected. I used the broomstick method, and while cleaning figured out the neck broke cleanly and all, so thinking I did right and maybe just seemed that way... And also, while we do our best to provide as painless and humane a death as possible, crap happens. My first bird I processed was an older jerkface rooster. As much as I hated that bird I wanted a good death for him...but I bungled things. Didn't break his neckso my "dead" rooster got up after flopping around...with a crooked neck and I had to do it all over again. With shaken nerves, and an audience, it was horrid. Just remember, our birds have better lives than most. And even if we do mess up, its not because we dont care. And it sucks for that bird, but helps the next ones..so long as you can work up the courage to do it again. Took me a good year, but I'm slowly replacing factory farmed freezer birds with our own now.

We did our hen with the broomstick again. Worked like a charm. I don't think I'd ever go back to another method.

I couldn't use either if those methods they seem traumatic for the birds
But I can see how having a plan in place is helpful
If my cat got attacked or run over the plan would be get to the vets ASAP or call the vet out
The cat may suffer a bit longer but I'm not going to kill it myself
So I guess that is my plan for an injured chicken too

As for unwanted cockerels luckily I'm in an area where farmers want them.
I sold two 16 wk roos at auction on sat and gave my fav one to a lovely farm
And chicken breeder

goodpost.gif
Very good indeed.

I couldn't use either if those methods they seem traumatic for the birds
But I can see how having a plan in place is helpful
If my cat got attacked or run over the plan would be get to the vets ASAP or call the vet out
The cat may suffer a bit longer but I'm not going to kill it myself
So I guess that is my plan for an injured chicken too

As for unwanted cockerels luckily I'm in an area where farmers want them.
I sold two 16 wk roos at auction on sat and gave my fav one to a lovely farm
And chicken breeder

A cat is a predator, a predator will not go quietly. Try holding a cat upside down, they will tear you up.

A chicken, once flipped upside down will be calm and the whole thing is done within seconds.

I do it for flock health. If I have a bird that's not appearing to be in the best condition, it's better not to drag it on. Some birds just don't play well with others and some have health issues a vet can't do anything about. I've patched birds up from hawk attacks, so it's not that at the first sign of trouble I kill the birds. But if I have a bird who just doesn't seem to thrive, there's not much you can do and it becomes a waste and liability to the flock to keep them around. Selling birds that aren't 100% is wrong. You could endanger another persons flock.

Cockerels. I try to keep them around sometimes if I happen to like them, if they seem to have a place in the flock, if they're a pain-in-the-butt and making my hens miserable they're definitely dinner.

Thank you guys so much for the support. I felt bummed yesterday morning, but I am feeling much better a couple days later. Unsure whether I'll be able to handle slaughtering broilers, although I hear that ducks are both more difficult to kill, and more personable than chickens, especially cornish X. I guess I have all winter to think it through.

We ate our duck for dinner last night. And everyone loved it. My kids (3,4, and 9) had no problems eating it. Before, they would be upset unless it was a mean bird they weren't sad to see go, lol. After talking about happy birds vs sad cramped unloved ones they have decided that they would rather eat our happy yummy ones, and I have been given "permission" to do the rest of our extra birds. Pretty proud of my girls. And having my families support makes it a lot easier for me.

Back
Top Bottom