Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Jumping in here… I have 9 leghorn cockerels that need to go to camp. This will be my first time with chickens. I've hunted deer since I was 12 and we always butchered our own as well. Does anyone have any suggestions or informative articles for a first timer? Anything you wish you knew your first time?

Jumping in here… I have 9 leghorn cockerels that need to go to camp. This will be my first time with chickens. I've hunted deer since I was 12 and we always butchered our own as well. Does anyone have any suggestions or informative articles for a first timer? Anything you wish you knew your first time?

Check some of the earlier posts. LOTS of good information there! Also, make sure your blade is SHARP! Other than that, good luck!

Hi all! New to this thread. We have been raising chickens for a yr and a half and are in the process of building coop/run #6. We have only raised for eggs, & breeding purposes, but have decided to begin raising some for meat.
We have only ever processed 1 turkey, & that was just because he kept attacking my bf, and he smacked him with a stick to stop him, & it killed the turkey, so we didn't want to waste the meat.
Right now my grow out pen is full, growing out 40 to sell EE laying pullets in the spring. And we will start with those cockerels. Then in the spring I plan to purchase chicks or hath ing eggs to start our meat bird/ eating egg pen. I've done much research and have chosen not to purchase "broiler chickens" because I do not want to have to purchase them each yr. I'm planning to use ( forgive the spelling) black Austrolops, NHR, and/or white rocks. And I will leave some to breed, hatch, & grow out for the following year. I sell LOTS of chicks and hatching eggs to pay for feed, so for the most part, after the initial purchase, it should work out well financially. We would really just want to begin the process if being more self sufficient.
I do however need to find a better way to feed. They waste SOOOO much lately! Considering the 5 gallon bucket with PVC pipes so they have to stick their head INSIDE the pipe to eat. Any suggestions that seem better?? Much appreciated!!!

Sounds like you're doing good to me. I have White rocks and would like to have NH, but mostly right now I have SBEL's They are called Sapphires Super Blue Egg Layers. CC Legbar rooster over a white Leghorn. They are super friendly and intelligent. So different from hatchery birds. DMRipply sold them to me and she said that the Roosters carry the blue egg gene so they can be matched with leghorns or white rocks. The color of egg will be more of a green.

I bought a set of saw holes for my drill and I have the bucket, just need to get the elbow. I hope I don't botch it.
he.gif

Sounds like you're doing good to me.  I have White rocks and would like to have NH, but mostly right now I have SBEL's They are called Sapphires  Super Blue Egg Layers.   CC Legbar rooster over a white Leghorn.   They are super friendly  and intelligent.  So different from hatchery birds.   DMRipply sold them to me and she said that the Roosters carry the blue egg gene so they can be matched with  leghorns or white rocks.  The color of egg will be more of a green.

I bought a set of saw holes for my drill and I have the bucket, just need to get the elbow.    I hope I don't botch it.    :he

Lol. Yeah. I'm thinking I'm gonna practice on a few gallon ice cream buckets 1st, & be sure I like it, & know what I'm doing.

I am about to process my first turkeys. I am ordering the bags, but the S/h is outrageous, so I am ordering other things to make it worth my while (and money!) They have a scale that goes up to 26#. I feel this is adequate since I only plan on raising Bourbon Reds. I will be placing the order in the morning. Does anyone feel that 26# is not enough?

Jumping in...We are raising our first duel purpose chicks for meat. We have speckled Sussex, and Speckled Sussex/red sex link cross eggs in the bator..And a Sussex rooster who may go to freezer camp if we get a rooster we can replace him with...I never done naythign liek this before and am very concerned about hurting them..

Withhold feed for about a day and a half, or they will poo all over you in the process. Killing cones are great the birds are clam, and it just makes it so much easier. Once you kak them spray them off with a garden hose before you scald them, otherwise the scald water will get super dirty. I have seen scald water so dirty from poo and dirt on the bird that after 2 or 3 birds you wouldn't want to dip a bird in it. Witholding food for a day and a half, and hosing them down works wonders. If you can rent a chicken plucker it makes it so much easier, but you can pluck without one. When they are in the cone cut their throat as close to their head within reason, be sure the knife is sharp. Beyond that it is just a lot of work, oh and have a bucket under the cones to catch the blood. If you have dogs you can cook the blood, it solidifies, and mix it with their food. Using every part of the bird like that to me is the best way.

If you are hand plucking, add a squirt of liquid dish soap to the water you use for scalding. It helps with the plucking. Swirl in scalding water until a wing or tail feather will come out easily. Withhold feed for the night before processing.

Joel Salatin has some great processing videos:

Back
Top Bottom