Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We brought home 45 meaties last Monday, free from the feed mill from their spring, chick days event. We lost 4 after the first 3-4 days but the rest are doing great. I think the ones we lost were the ones that didn't figure out that they should eat. They grow so fast! We're going to be busy in 2 months. Hopefully, I can get them moved outside to the tractor before too long.

For some reason it's always the hardest thing to say goodbye. I don't enjoy cleaning the room the next day, but it's not exactly hard.
I raise market chickens for 4h, and we eat the ones I don't sell. Thinking about my lady minutes with my meat birds brings tears to my eyes. But they were saved from factory farms.

I culled twelve (mean obnoxious) 12-week old cockerels today. Previously I have used the cone and cut the blood vessels in the neck and bled them out. This time, based on a suggestion from someone else, I tried using a Husky flexible tube cutter that I got at Home Depot to quickly decapitate instead.

HuskyTubeCutter.jpg

WOW. This was SO quick and easy. And easier on the birds as well (though there's lots of flapping about headless afterwards). Between that and skinning instead of plucking, I got 12 done in 4-1/2 hours. That Husky thing is HIGHLY recommended. :thumbsup

- Ant Farm

My first time raising meat birds - although not the first time I've had to cull and process a chicken. Butcher day is day after tomorrow for our 26 Cornish X, and I'm NOT looking forward to it. It's hard to remain detached when they're the first flock you've raised for this, and even though they're HUGE at 8 weeks (9 lbs avg.!), I can't help but think they're still just babies! *breathing deeply* I'll be fine, I'll get through this, I just needed to share.

My first time raising meat birds - although not the first time I've had to cull and process a chicken. Butcher day is day after tomorrow for our 26 Cornish X, and I'm NOT looking forward to it. It's hard to remain detached when they're the first flock you've raised for this, and even though they're HUGE at 8 weeks (9 lbs avg.!), I can't help but think they're still just babies! *breathing deeply* I'll be fine, I'll get through this, I just needed to share.
I hope you have a lot of help!

26 is a lot to process

:clap I'm very proud of you! It is emotional sometimes. I believe once you start, you will become more detached. It becomes a rhythm. You will be glad when you are done, and surprised by your calm.
Then you will do it again (next year I assume), and again will feel "they are so young!" But will remember that it wasn't so bad.
I personally had an easier time with meat birds. I forced myself to remember that they were supposed to be food. That if I didn't do it, they would suffer. It helped me a lot.

I'm slowly working my way through this thread but I'm only on page 11. I have lots of time to read the whole thing. My Brahma's are only 3 months old and I ordered only one rooster.

I haven't come upon anything about plucking yet. Never having seen it done, it seems like it would take too long to be worth the effort. The plucking machines cost like $500. Does it take for ever? Is it difficult?

I'm pretty sure I could do the deed. I'd use the flexible tube cutting tool from the hardware store because the thought of causing suffering is worse for me than the thought of the killing itself.

I'm slowly working my way through this thread but I'm only on page 11. I have lots of time to read the whole thing. My Brahma's are only 3 months old and I ordered only one rooster.

I haven't come upon anything about plucking yet. Never having seen it done, it seems like it would take too long to be worth the effort. The plucking machines cost like $500. Does it take for ever? Is it difficult?

I'm pretty sure I could do the deed. I'd use the flexible tube cutting tool from the hardware store because the thought of causing suffering is worse for me than the thought of the killing itself.
Plucking isn't a big deal when doing a few. Hold the body by the feet, swish around for about ten seconds in 155* water. Pull a feather out. If it's not easy, dunk again. Dip in cold water, then pluck. The cold water keeps the skin from tearing.

Back
Top Bottom