Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I've never done manual dislocation. I've always been worried that I didn't have the strength in my hands and 6 month cockerels are pretty tough. I don't always feel the stretch the first time which is why I now do a double pull just to be sure and you can definitely feel the elastic stretch on the second pull.... I think the first pull I'm just too keen to give a good hard quick tug rather than "feeling" for it. There is barely half a second between 1st and 2nd pulls, so they are not really two distinct efforts.
You could probably also use roofing felt to make a cone.... anything that has a bit of rigidity to it perhaps even cardboard. I use Duct tape to secure it in the cone shape and screw it to a piece of plywood that I can hang up. I much prefer to be able to drop them into the cone once I've dislocated, then cut off their head and walk away and take a few deep breaths and chill before I return to deal with the carcass. The killing is by far the hardest part for me, so having that walk away period to compose myself whilst it spasms makes it a little easier.
Thank you! I appreciate it; that's quite helpful.

We (okay, Bill) used to use a cone, but found that cutting the bottom corner of an empty feed bag works better. Either way, it’s not a day we look forward to, but since we’ve been raising our own chickens now, I’d rather not eat chicken from anywhere else. We just keep in mind how much more tender, tasty, and healthier homegrown food is. Good luck!

'nother question. What size is best? Seems that a broomstick is large enough that it would give too much surface area and end up breaking the neck farther back, making it worse for the bird. I saw someone do CD on a rabbit once and they used a thin length of metal tube or something.

'nother question. What size is best? Seems that a broomstick is large enough that it would give too much surface area and end up breaking the neck farther back, making it worse for the bird. I saw someone do CD on a rabbit once and they used a thin length of metal tube or something.
Any straight flat round piece of wood or pipe will work. Plastic pipe will probably work too.

But is there an optimal diameter? I know, I'm OCD.
Let me find what is in the guide....Storey's says a broom or rake handle. It does not say anything about size so normal broom handle size.

There is a hand method:

A more suitable time-honored method is to dislocate the bird's neck, which kills instantly. Hang the bird upside down by holding both legs in one hand. With the other hand, grasp the head with your thumb behind the comb and your little finger beneath the beak. Tilt the head back, and pull steadily until the head snaps free of the neck. Continue holding the head until struggling stops.

@BantyChooks I'm afraid you are over analyzing. KISS = Keep it simple sweetie
I dunno, I almost prefer the original acronym to that, you southern charmer you. :plbb I always over analyze. Want me to show you my temperature records for the first time I ran an incubator? Or the walkthrough I made up for myself the first time I butchered? No, you don't, unless you have an hour!

There is more than one way to swing a cat. --Old Medieval saying. I'll let you look it up for the real meaning.
But there's often a most efficient way ;)

Let me find what is in the guide....Storey's says a broom or rake handle. It does not say anything about size so normal broom handle size.

There is a hand method:

A more suitable time-honored method is to dislocate the bird's neck, which kills instantly. Hang the bird upside down by holding both legs in one hand. With the other hand, grasp the head with your thumb behind the comb and your little finger beneath the beak. Tilt the head back, and pull steadily until the head snaps free of the neck. Continue holding the head until struggling stops.

I use manual CD for euthanasia or slaughter of hens and young cockerels, but I don't have confidence in my strength to do in a huge 11 month old cockerel the manual way. Hence my interest in broomsticking it, lol. Thanks you two... even the Elvis hater. :lol:

I dunno, I almost prefer the original acronym to that, you southern charmer you. :plbb I always over analyze. Want me to show you my temperature records for the first time I ran an incubator? Or the walkthrough I made up for myself the first time I butchered? No, you don't, unless you have an hour!

But there's often a most efficient way ;)

I use manual CD for euthanasia or slaughter of hens and young cockerels, but I don't have confidence in my strength to do in a huge 11 month old cockerel the manual way. Hence my interest in broomsticking it, lol. Thanks you two... even the Elvis hater. :lol:
I bet you could use my Dad's method! He picked them up by the head and Whipped them in a circle over his head...I would not recommend that way because sometimes the head came off...Not pretty....but you do not need much strength for it to work.

I bet you could use my Dad's method! He picked them up by the head and Whipped them in a circle over his head...I would not recommend that way because sometimes the head came off...Not pretty....but you do not need much strength for it to work.
Helicopter method, eh? Yeah, I've thought of it. It seems to work well if you know what you're doing. If not the chicken gets a chiropractic adjustment and runs away screaming.
run-circles.gif
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom