Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I dunno, I almost prefer the original acronym to that, you southern charmer you. :tongue I always over analyze. Want me to show you my temperature records for the first time I ran an incubator? Or the walkthrough I made up for myself the first time I butchered? No, you don't, unless you have an hour!
This is supposed to be a support thread. Here you are starting ANOTHER "discussion".

It sounds like a charming way to spend a weekend. Are you asking me out?

Out to the great white north? Was born at night, but not last night.

But there's often a most efficient way ;)
Have anyone to help you? Keep focus on the goal. Quick. I find things like this are personal. I can show you my technique on our date. ;)

I use manual CD for euthanasia or slaughter of hens and young cockerels, but I don't have confidence in my strength to do in a huge 11 month old cockerel the manual way. Hence my interest in broomsticking it, lol. Thanks you two... even the Elvis hater. :lol:

Just use the broomstick you usually ride around on. Should be fine.

:oops:

:lau

This is supposed to be a support thread. Here you are starting ANOTHER "discussion".
It's what I do bestest.

It sounds like a charming way to spend a weekend. Are you asking me out?
Wal, now that I think about it, my freezer is a tad low. Sure, sure; can you make it out this weekend or would the next be better?

Out to the great white north? Was born at night, but not last night.
So two nights ago, then?

Have anyone to help you? Keep focus on the goal. Quick. I find things like this are personal. I can show you my technique on our date. ;)
Nope, nobody that's experienced in that method. Neighbors use an axe, & I don't have the nerves of steel required to aim one of them things.

Sounds wonderful. :love So it's Saturday you're coming??

Just use the broomstick you usually ride around on. Should be fine.

:oops:

:lau
It might mar the finish.

Last edited:
Any advice on not getting attached in the first place? I saw the post about not naming them... So far, the only one I can pick out from the rest (my chicks are about to weeks old) I've named Cordon Bleu (she's a light colored Silver Laced Wyandotte). I thought of coming up with a ritual to honor their life force and thank them for their nourishment or something along those lines. Anyone have a ritual they do? But I think I'll have a hard time, being such a lover of all living things... I can already spend an hour or more on a day off checking on the chicks... Just sitting quietly watching them... I'm doomed, aren't I? :th

I don't mean to discourage you in any way, but it seems an awful shame to butcher a pullet when she has a good couple of years of laying in her. If you are going to raise dual purpose for meat, it makes much more sense to purchase male chicks as they are cheaper and should grow slightly bigger. Maybe I am misunderstanding your situation...
I'm afraid I don't have a ritual. I find processing difficult enough without making it more complicated. I only process surplus cockerels from my broody hatches, so having the broody raise them means I get less attached and by the time they are butchering age, they are starting to wreak havoc in my flock, which makes it a bit easier to psych myself up to deal with them. If I put them in a bachelor pad, it is too easy to put off the moment of truth. I also prefer to just do a couple at a time, so I can deal with them as they start to cause problems.

Good luck with finding a system that works best for you.

Barbara

I saw one where a butcher drinks a toast to the animal before starting with a moment of silence and thanks.

The first one is the hardest.

I bought 25 pullets since the heritage roosters would crow before they got butchering size. Neighborhood - not ideal, but it was a compromise. 8 Barred Rocks were thanked and butchered at 18 weeks. The only reason more weren't was my "helpers" decided to sell eggs. We are moving eggs, but giving more to family and friends than paying customers. I should cull some again, but haven't had an egg back up yet, no hurry, huh? Lost one to health. So 17 going strong and getting a dozen eggs (plus) daily.

Yes, we get attached. Got 2 week old CX waiting in a friend's brooder. I'll finish my tractor and move then in. Just keep in mind the purpose. I didn't get all these for eggs, but am enjoying them daily. The CX have 6 weeks left and will be cherished and thanked.

Best wishes.

Any advice on not getting attached in the first place? I saw the post about not naming them... So far, the only one I can pick out from the rest (my chicks are about to weeks old) I've named Cordon Bleu (she's a light colored Silver Laced Wyandotte). I thought of coming up with a ritual to honor their life force and thank them for their nourishment or something along those lines. Anyone have a ritual they do? But I think I'll have a hard time, being such a lover of all living things... I can already spend an hour or more on a day off checking on the chicks... Just sitting quietly watching them... I'm doomed, aren't I? :th

I USED to thank each one and God for the food I was going to receive right before each... But i was so emotionally drained after 4-6 of them.. So now I thank before the first one and after the last.. I still only do 4-6, but I am not so drained

I don't play with them and have as little contact as I can.. wild birds and hard to catch but it's better than them pulling at your pant leg before you pick them up to 'do the deed'

If you are going to raise dual purpose for meat, it makes much more sense to purchase male chicks as they are cheaper and should grow slightly bigger.
I agree! The only reason I have pullets is the local farm store only sells ladies in the breed I bought... I have cockerels on their way but wanted to get started on everything rather than wait for the boys to arrive.

I'm back, with another crazy question. No laughing, dear Nutty. :smack

I found a length of rebar that I think will work great for CD. Now what I am not sure about is the surface. How hard or soft is optimal? In videos I think I mostly see rockier surfaces used. My processing area is very spongy, layered ground. Mostly pine needles, old leaves, and other dead woody stuff. Is that likely to allow too much neck movement? Should I put a board down first?

I'm back, with another crazy question. No laughing, dear Nutty. :smack

I found a length of rebar that I think will work great for CD. Now what I am not sure about is the surface. How hard or soft is optimal? In videos I think I mostly see rockier surfaces used. My processing area is very spongy, layered ground. Mostly pine needles, old leaves, and other dead woody stuff. Is that likely to allow too much neck movement? Should I put a board down first?
I've never done it but I read that it is usually good to have a small indentation on the ground for the neck to lay in- that allows the bird to be comfortable while the bar is in place but before the pulling occurs. The chicken won't be freaking out squirming bc it can't breath before you begin the actual CD. I'm sure someone with experience will chime in soon though. Good luck!

My concern with the rebar is that it is too heavy and will start to apply pressure on the trachea as soon as it is laid across the neck. I personally prefer a broom shank (the type with a wooden head set at an angle with approx. 3inch bristles) rather than the witch type broom. The advantage of this is that it supports the shank off the neck until you step either side and pull, so the bird is relatively unstressed until the moment you step on the shank. I do it on a solid surface but with some loose dust and straw on the top, so not a totally hard surface. If you are going to use a straight bar with no broom head, then it might be helpful to have a small divet in the ground to place the head in. I believe one of the You Tube video's of CD shows that. I would be wary of spongy ground in case the head pulls out from under the bar.

Back
Top Bottom