Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I hand plucked them. It does not take me very long to pluck them--I plucked my first chicken when I was about 10 years old.
I've never plucked one I have always skinned. Plucking 2 in less then an hour, I may actually try it this fall when I start culling (well at least unless one of my slips starts crowing before then)

I've never plucked one I have always skinned. Plucking 2 in less then an hour, I may actually try it this fall when I start culling (well at least unless one of my slips starts crowing before then)

Plucking is not that hard. The trick is to get the water bath between 145 and 150 and soaking them until the wing feathers come out easily. Then pluck the big flying feathers and tail feathers first. I then pluck the breast and flip over to the back. That takes off most of the feathers, so then I get the ones under the wings and around the legs. I do not worry about perfection at this point.

Next is getting the organs out. After that I rinse and go back over the outside to get the rest of the feathers out.

Anybody on here process ducks?

I have a single duck that if it turns out to be a drake will be going along with the meat kings. I am a little nervous to skin. Not sure HOW to do it. This duck is not all breast meat, and is quite large at 7 weeks old already.

I agree that plucking isn't that bad. You should at least give it a try. I kept my water about 150 also. On the heritage breeds the feathers literally came out by the handful. We did 6 really old hens that were heritage. Than we did our 20 CX all with hand plucking. After a little practice it becomes even easier. If you don't care for eating the skin, but you like to roast a whole bird. The skin acts to baste and hold in moisture and than it can just be discarded if you don't want to eat it. I cannot resist eating at least a pinch of that crispy yummy skin
droolin.gif

I agree that plucking isn't that bad. You should at least give it a try. I kept my water about 150 also. On the heritage breeds the feathers literally came out by the handful. We did 6 really old hens that were heritage. Than we did our 20 CX all with hand plucking. After a little practice it becomes even easier. If you don't care for eating the skin, but you like to roast a whole bird. The skin acts to baste and hold in moisture and than it can just be discarded if you don't want to eat it. I cannot resist eating at least a pinch of that crispy yummy skin
droolin.gif

thumbsup.gif
If you do not eat the skin, it is also a great addition along with the neck and bones for Stock after the meat is off of the carcass.

I put all of the parts we do not eat into a pressure cooker along with Onions, a celery stalk and whatever odd veggies I have in the fridge. It only takes one hour under pressure to make the most amazing chicken stock!

I agree too! our kids did it and so fast they were like little vultures! LOL
Isn't it amazing how most kids can handle the death and processing without batting an eyelash? It seems like for most people the squeamishness is something that is added on rather than being our default setting.

I was talking to a co-worker who was raised on a farm, and she has fond memories of slaughter day because all the kids in the family used to use the chicken heads as guns to play war games or cowboys and indians. I had a hard time holding the head to make the cut when I first started.

It looks like we just need to be more childish!
tongue2.gif

Yep...because kids aren't ashamed to admit that it fascinates them to see this process and see the innards of the animal. It's all a learning experience and they are naturally curious, so they don't think about pretense when it comes to showing it....they only come around to learning that from adults and the cues they give to their children.

My mother was fascinated by it as a child and so was I and my boys as well...wanted to see the inside of the gizzard, the heart, where the eggs come from,etc.

My oldest could NOT handle seeing any of the innards!!! Poor thing, lol. Anything that resembles a worm or is wormish will send her into a cold sweat........................cause?

An earthworm peed on her hand when she was 4 or 5 years old.
th.gif

Bless her heart, lol. So we would do a couple and get them right up to the point that we were going to start taking out the innards, then she would head out to the house. At least she did help with plucking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom