Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Speakin' of which...did y'all know they make Gator Jerky???? Well...I don't get out much and was in Sams Club and walked by this huge bag of gator jerky for around $16 and I showed it to my mother and said, "Huh!! Who knew?? I think I'll get this for Eli (my son who loves all things redneck) and that's a great deal on jerky!". So we look at the contents and are fondling the bag like it's a jewel of rare price and an oddity of such magnitude that it just MUST be bought and showed to the whole family....seriously, when does one see gator meat in WV?

And then.....we notice it's for dogs.
hide.gif
I almost bought it for my son....anyway...I mean, that's pretty cheap for jerky and he sure do love him some jerky.
big_smile.png

lol.png
lau.gif

This might sound odd but if i were a chicken i would rather have it done fast and painless than slow and painful.If you are going to process chicken make sure u do it right.At the end you and the chicken would both be happy !
smile.png

Well yesterday was the final day for 3 of our cockerel. Their sisters started laying eggs but we already have roosters so they had to go. With an older rooster around they spent most of the day avoiding him. The rooster kept them away from any mash or greens I gave the flock. We had done this before but yesterday was rough for my wife. She was questioning why we were doing this. I reminded her of the harsh reality of life that if we are meat eaters someone has to take a life for us to eat. There is also the hatching our own chicks we can't get to get all pullets. I reminded her that hatcheries are no day in the park for young cockerels. Once they were ready for the Plucker things got better. The whizbang plucker makes quick work of them and I handle all the eviscerating. I always tell her she can skip helping me on process day but she has a need to take part in this as well. In the end we know it is better to raise our own and that they have better lives than any store chicken had. Now I have them in a fridge for a few days to age them. Given that they are over 16 weeks I think they need to be stew and not roasters.

hugs.gif
to your wife. Some days are harder then others for sure (for us women anyway) and some birds harder then others. I have one I need to do tonight, should have done him about a week ago but he has had several stays of execution for other things I needed to do more then him.

I'm putting off a cull for the same reason...pure old sentimentality. I know I will finally get to it and it's not urgent at all, but it's just time for a few of my old girls to get relief from living with old bodies. They aren't sick and they don't seem to be suffering, but I'm wanting to avoid it getting to that point and I can see the handwriting on the wall...the time is soon.

Just putting it off a few days because I know that these birds, in particular, are old companions of mine and we have seen many good years together and I'll miss their faces in the flock.

. Now I have them in a fridge for a few days to age them. Given that they are over 16 weeks I think they need to be stew and not roasters.
Actually, they can still be awesome slow cooked birds at that age. I have a large stovetop roaster pan with a domed lid (it is enameled metal) I put the cut up bird into it with 8-10 cups of broth and a handful of chunked carrots and celery and a few spices. I slow simmer it for 2 hrs, then make dumplings and drop the dumplings on top and let them cook for about 20 mins or so. The meat falls off of the bone and it is awesome with noodles or parsleyed potatoes.
I am at work right now so don't have my recipe available for exact amounts, if anyone is interested I can post the exact recipe after I'm home tomorrow.

Actually, they can still be awesome slow cooked birds at that age. I have a large stovetop roaster pan with a domed lid (it is enameled metal) I put the cut up bird into it with 8-10 cups of broth and a handful of chunked carrots and celery and a few spices. I slow simmer it for 2 hrs, then make dumplings and drop the dumplings on top and let them cook for about 20 mins or so. The meat falls off of the bone and it is awesome with noodles or parsleyed potatoes.
I am at work right now so don't have my recipe available for exact amounts, if anyone is interested I can post the exact recipe after I'm home tomorrow.
Yes please!

more recipes the better thanks. Yep they got put off for some time and I think that is what did it. Next year using Bee's Quonset hut idea for a coop and getting some Cornish. My breeding of Rangers should be up by then too. Hatch rate for Rangers not great, lots of infertile eggs. He might just be too big.

more recipes the better thanks. Yep they got put off for some time and I think that is what did it. Next year using Bee's Quonset hut idea for a coop and getting some Cornish. My breeding of Rangers should be up by then too. Hatch rate for Rangers not great, lots of infertile eggs. He might just be too big.
Pressure cooking or Braising works for older birds too.

Back
Top Bottom