Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Yes they can be surgically altered in two ways, there is a procedure a Vet here in Oklahoma does to "decrow" a rooster, and he learned it from a vet in Arizona. The OK vet has invented better tools and has had much success, even success in shipping around the country peoples pet roos to him, he does the procedure and then ships them back. The ones who have done it report awesome results.

The other way is through caponizing, or "neutering" once a roo that has never crowed is caponized he does not start crowing, if he already crows he may stop entirely, and if he does not it is not as vocal or often, not w/ any "gusto" at all. He will continue to grow the rooster feathers and look, but will not be interested in mating and will be sterile.

Both procedures are very safe when done by someone who knows what they are doing. My caponizing mentor has done several hundred ranging from 4 weeks to 1 year old w/ only 1 loss. I have done around 20 w/ no losses.
Crap I had an email from him a while back wanting one of my roosters. I responded but never heard back from him so just assumed it was one of those stupid craigslist hoaxes. He was a long ways away from me so who knows.

Crap I had an email from him a while back wanting one of my roosters. I responded but never heard back from him so just assumed it was one of those stupid craigslist hoaxes. He was a long ways away from me so who knows.

I believe Dr. James is from Spiro, he posted that at least once on the thread.

Why would you do that the night before? Thanks.

Because that is when I catch the chickens...off the roost, where they can be calmly removed. They are then trussed and laid into the deep litter so they don't have to leave the rest of the flock but I don't have to chase a bird the next morning. It doesn't hurt them at all and they are calmly awaiting processing, not being chased down frantically. Even if one were to catch them and place them in a smaller pen of some sort, there is then the need to "catch" them out of the pen again, then tie their legs before placing them into the killing cone. I just remove that extra step. Been doing it that way for years.

Here you see some CX birds calmly awaiting their turn in the killing cone on processing day....they are lying in my garden cart.

Last edited:
Yes they can be surgically altered in two ways, there is a procedure a Vet here in Oklahoma does to "decrow" a rooster, and he learned it from a vet in Arizona. The OK vet has invented better tools and has had much success, even success in shipping around the country peoples pet roos to him, he does the procedure and then ships them back. The ones who have done it report awesome results.

The other way is through caponizing, or "neutering" once a roo that has never crowed is caponized he does not start crowing, if he already crows he may stop entirely, and if he does not it is not as vocal or often, not w/ any "gusto" at all. He will continue to grow the rooster feathers and look, but will not be interested in mating and will be sterile.

Both procedures are very safe when done by someone who knows what they are doing. My caponizing mentor has done several hundred ranging from 4 weeks to 1 year old w/ only 1 loss. I have done around 20 w/ no losses.
I wish I had someone in Mass to show me this. I want to do it but just reading is not enough for me to go and caponize birds.

Nope nothing at all. You can clean them. I don't bother. My dogs eat their poop outside, so they are exposed to the worst the feet have to offer lol.

Note: Toenails are not digested. They poop them out whole!!
Yep our cats box is self cleaning, all we do is add litter. Dogs are something else.

Because that is when I catch the chickens...off the roost, where they can be calmly removed. They are then trussed and laid into the deep litter so they don't have to leave the rest of the flock but I don't have to chase a bird the next morning. It doesn't hurt them at all and they are calmly awaiting processing, not being chased down frantically. Even if one were to catch them and place them in a smaller pen of some sort, there is then the need to "catch" them out of the pen again, then tie their legs before placing them into the killing cone. I just remove that extra step. Been doing it that way for years.

Here you see some CX birds calmly awaiting their turn in the killing cone on processing day....they are lying in my garden cart.

That is not a bad idea. Last round I had roos in a turkey coop and I have no way to get in the elevated run. Going to have to change that.

I spoke on the phone with a gentleman at Academy Sports yesterday about bb/pellet guns to use for killing chickens.

I am not a gun person at all, so I know absolutely nothing about them.

He thought a pellet gun would be best for dispatching chickens at point-blank range. I asked him about velocity, and he felt something around 400 to 500 fps would be fine. He recommended against a bb gun, feeling a pellet gun would be better. I think it is a bigger projectile and less likely to be deflected based on its shape--a round ball versus something with a slightly pointed tip that looks more like a bullet. He also pointed out it was made of lead, so there wouldn't be a deflection problem--the pellet would just flatten out because it is so soft.

I'm going to go in today and maybe buy one. And a big pot for scalding.

Kassaundra, how do you make sure that your aim is right and you don't miss?

I put them in a killing cone facing away from me, I secure the cone in a lower position then where you put it to slice the neck, for easier aim. I secure the feet, this makes them more calm and less likely to remove themselves from the correct position. I let them settle down for a few minutes, when I return the are generally calm so I remain quiet w/o sudden movements. They generally are hanging upside down but have there head raised so their neck makes a "u" shape. I gently place the business end of the gun just behind the BASE of the comb where it attatches to the head, then move the gun just about 1/2 a finger width below that and aim for where the beak would be (you can't see the beak, but in the general area of the beak) If their head is to high or at a wrong angle you can gently nudge it to the right angle w/ the gun, take your time make sure of your aim, the chicken isn't going anywhere. If the aim is good they will almost instantly go into the death throes.

Nice to see ya back on Sally.
frow.gif

Next time I head down your way, to that nice outdoor's store, maybe I'll make a side trip over your way and give ya some for your kids. I think they'd get as big of a kick outta them as Gavin did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom