Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

It is done
th.gif

Took me nearly 1 hour 45 minutes from first cut to getting it in the fridge. My killing knife is not sharp enough, I'm not happy. I bought it specifically as a killing knife. The poor guy took about 3 minutes to die and I feel terrible about it. The cone worked great, my water got too cool before I scalding. A second pair of hands would've been great. I spent the longest time plucking. He was 5.5lbs live weight, 3.7lbs processed.

I was wondering about the small marks on the skin though?

Took me just as long with mine.. it's a new skill to learn. Great looking bird.

It is done
th.gif

Took me nearly 1 hour 45 minutes from first cut to getting it in the fridge. My killing knife is not sharp enough, I'm not happy. I bought it specifically as a killing knife. The poor guy took about 3 minutes to die and I feel terrible about it. The cone worked great, my water got too cool before I scalding. A second pair of hands would've been great. I spent the longest time plucking. He was 5.5lbs live weight, 3.7lbs processed.

Did you pull the skin tight before making the cut? I ask because I didn't know to do that and botched my first kill. Your knife will just slip around on loose skin if you don't.

It is done
th.gif

That is an excellent first go!!! It took me a long time the first time and mine didn't look nearly as good as that! We did 6 that day. By #6 we were down to 15 minutes. I did have a second set of hands though. The knife has to go through those feathers and the skin and it is very loose. The knife should cut paper easily, then you will know it is sharp enough. You also might need to cut a bit deeper. It is better if you can get the carotid artery, rather than just the jugular.

Last edited:
Took me just as long with mine.. it's a new skill to learn. Great looking bird.

That is good to know. I was getting nervous about taking so long, but those little feathers were bugging me. I see why people skin them.
Did you pull the skin tight before making the cut? I ask because I didn't know to do that and botched my first kill. Your knife will just slip around on loose skin if you don't.

I did pull it tight. I'm starting to think I just wasn't putting enough pressure with my cut. I was very nervous. I've been feeling bad for my first kill/process since we got the chicks, because I knew it wouldn't be pretty. I just didn't think I would be doing it by myself.

That is good to know. I was getting nervous about taking so long, but those little feathers were bugging me. I see why people skin them.

I did pull it tight. I'm starting to think I just wasn't putting enough pressure with my cut. I was very nervous. I've been feeling bad for my first kill/process since we got the chicks, because I knew it wouldn't be pretty. I just didn't think I would be doing it by myself.
I know it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, so hesitation is to be expected. It doesn't get easier, but you will be better at it the next time. Depth is important and you don't want to have to recut if you can avoid it. I botched one and had to go back in to get the artery. It was traumatic for both of us (much worse for the poor bird). I made sure to cut deep and decisively after that for the birds sake.

I know it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, so hesitation is to be expected. It doesn't get easier, but you will be better at it the next time. Depth is important and you don't want to have to recut if you can avoid it. I botched one and had to go back in to get the artery. It was traumatic for both of us (much worse for the poor bird). I made sure to cut deep and decisively after that for the birds sake.

I'm guessing I got the vein instead of the artery, poor chicken. There was a small arterial spurt, but mostly just darker flow. Before I put him in the cone I tried to look around his neck to see if I could spot the right place, but I couldn't. I don't think I was putting enough pressure to get through the feathers.

I just want to congratulate you on a job well done. Your cornish gave you a similar experience to my first cornish process. Same issue and other birds walking on the poor thing. No one else home to help. Except, I wasn't pregnant and didn't have two small children. I know it is difficult, as well it should be. However, I hope you are able to get to the point where you feel a sense of accomplishment in gaining knowledge and providing a healthy meal for your family. Additionally, in providing a healthy place for that chicken to live out it's short life. You done good girl. Now go put your feet up and have hubby take care of the kids when he gets home and you take a nap
hugs.gif

So proud of you. A great BIG hurdle. Good going.
yippiechickie.gif

I just want to congratulate you on a job well done. Your cornish gave you a similar experience to my first cornish process. Same issue and other birds walking on the poor thing. No one else home to help. Except, I wasn't pregnant and didn't have two small children. I know it is difficult, as well it should be. However, I hope you are able to get to the point where you feel a sense of accomplishment in gaining knowledge and providing a healthy meal for your family. Additionally, in providing a healthy place for that chicken to live out it's short life. You done good girl. Now go put your feet up and have hubby take care of the kids when he gets home and you take a nap
hugs.gif
She can't do that till Thursday!!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom