Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Quote:
I learn best by watching too. But I didn't have anyone to show me, so YouTube was a good substitute. I was really not able to find one that was good for showing the actual cut though. They all gave a general view, but back too far to really see where to position the knife and how much pressure to apply. Had to figure that out myself and just go for it. Fortunately I was able to do it right.

Hi,

I think that this tutorial is pretty explicit when it comes to do the cut. At least it did teach me enough to do it successfully.

Cheers,

A very sharp knife is a must, and go for it-- YOu can't apply too much pressure as you will be stopped by bone anyway. I prefer to cut both sides as they bleed out faster and it makes me feel better that it was a s quick as it could be.

Still hate doing it though.

Quote:
I learn best by watching too. But I didn't have anyone to show me, so YouTube was a good substitute. I was really not able to find one that was good for showing the actual cut though. They all gave a general view, but back too far to really see where to position the knife and how much pressure to apply. Had to figure that out myself and just go for it. Fortunately I was able to do it right.

Hi,

I think that this tutorial is pretty explicit when it comes to do the cut. At least it did teach me enough to do it successfully.

Cheers,

A very sharp knife is a must, and go for it-- YOu can't apply too much pressure as you will be stopped by bone anyway. I prefer to cut both sides as they bleed out faster and it makes me feel better that it was a s quick as it could be.

Still hate doing it though.

I did well on 3 of the 4, but on 1 I cut the trachea. I'm not sure how that affects them. I made sure the knife would cut thru paper easily before I used it the first time. I hate doing it to. I make the cut quickly and then walk away for a few minutes. When I come back it is usually over with.

I did well on 3 of the 4, but on 1 I cut the trachea. I'm not sure how that affects them. I made sure the knife would cut thru paper easily before I used it the first time. I hate doing it to. I make the cut quickly and then walk away for a few minutes. When I come back it is usually over with.

we use a sharp hatchet and take off the head completely then destroy the head. i don't know if that makes a difference but i always thought it was faster it seems that way anyway
idunno.gif
any thoughts on this?

I must say, my first dispatch was a disaster! I did not check to make sure the machete was sharp. The first blow glanced off the head-holding nails but injured the chicken so there was no turning back. I felt so terrible, my stomach was turning, I almost felt like crying - but damage was done, for the poor chicken's sake I had to keep going and go as quickly as possible. Second whack I'm sure was the killing blow, but it took another three or four blows to sever the head completely. By then, I was covered in blood and shaking... It was awful!

After that, I vowed to leave the dispatching bit for my husband. He did the next few for me. Recently, though, there was a roo I wanted for dinner but week after week, he never got around to knocking him off. Finally one day I decided to pull up my socks and just do it myself. Stomach turning, feeling guilty, shaking, I grabbed the SHARPENED machete and just went for it. Death blow first strike, head fully severed on strike two. So, nowhere near as disastrous as my first time, which is good. I expect the next time will go even better but I don't think the tummy-turning, shaking and guilt will ever go away.

I must say, my first dispatch was a disaster! I did not check to make sure the machete was sharp. The first blow glanced off the head-holding nails but injured the chicken so there was no turning back. I felt so terrible, my stomach was turning, I almost felt like crying - but damage was done, for the poor chicken's sake I had to keep going and go as quickly as possible. Second whack I'm sure was the killing blow, but it took another three or four blows to sever the head completely. By then, I was covered in blood and shaking... It was awful!

After that, I vowed to leave the dispatching bit for my husband. He did the next few for me. Recently, though, there was a roo I wanted for dinner but week after week, he never got around to knocking him off. Finally one day I decided to pull up my socks and just do it myself. Stomach turning, feeling guilty, shaking, I grabbed the SHARPENED machete and just went for it. Death blow first strike, head fully severed on strike two. So, nowhere near as disastrous as my first time, which is good. I expect the next time will go even better but I don't think the tummy-turning, shaking and guilt will ever go away.
I think you were courageous to keep going-- to quit would have been easy!1 ANd you did not quit!!!!

Why was it easier for your husband to discpatch thereafter?? DId he use a different knife or was he that much stronger that he could be more effective with a dull machete??

We live in a time when there is no one to show most of us how to do this-- wehave not grown up doing this as would have been normal on a farm 200 years ago. Where is Freds Hens?? I sure wish you could here his childhood tales!!!! BUtchering was second nature to the mother of the house and the children-- the adult men were freed from that chore to manage more strenuous work. So YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

When I am all bloodied, I pray no visitors will stop by!! BUt then I have seen thehead lady at the slaughter house and well . . I often look better than she does. lol

Live and learn and you will do better enxt time-- we do not become pros with one try!!

Back
Top Bottom