Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

My favorite rooster. I should have taken a picture when there was more sunlight, this doesn't really capture his sheen!
The chicks all got coccidiosis (I know I spelled that wrong), so they've been slow to grow.
I really want to keep him, but he will be crowing soon, so when he starts he's going to have to go
sad.png

My favorite rooster. I should have taken a picture when there was more sunlight, this doesn't really capture his sheen!
The chicks all got coccidiosis (I know I spelled that wrong), so they've been slow to grow.
I really want to keep him, but he will be crowing soon, so when he starts he's going to have to go
sad.png

Do you know anybody who caponizes that lives nearby? That would allow you to keep him since it would keep him from crowing.

Do you know anybody who caponizes that lives nearby? That would allow you to keep him since it would keep him from crowing.

No I don't know anyone that does that.
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that either.
Being a meat bird, he may have health issues down the line from keeping him.
So I guess I just have to go with the original plan, but thank you for the suggestion.
He's just so pretty to eat!

No I don't know anyone that does that.
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that either.
Being a meat bird, he may have health issues down the line from keeping him.
So I guess I just have to go with the original plan, but thank you for the suggestion.
He's just so pretty to eat!

What kind of meat bird is he?

Black Freedom Ranger.
He's the only one that has the copper in him which I loved.
All the rest are solid black with the bright green sheen.
I've been really happy with my birds from them.
Last time I got the regular Freedom Rangers which were all different colors.
They got a lot bigger, but I started these chicks right outside as it was warm and they got coccidiosis.
I gave them corrid and all recovered except the one chick I lost, but I think that may be why they are smaller than the last batch since they were slow to put on weight in beginning with that.
I don't really like the Cornish crosses so I like these. They take a little longer to grow out, but less than a heritage roo you put in the meat pen.
I go through Freedom Ranger hatchery. It's a Menonite family around Lancaster, PA all a family business, real nice people.

I do have a young silkie who I LOVE to death, but I can tell is a roo.
I know I will have to rehome him, I just keep putting it off because he loves to snuggle.
You think if I somehow found someone who caponizes my silkie roo really wouldn't crow???
Can they do it on a bird that small?

I do have a young silkie who I LOVE to death, but I can tell is a roo.
I know I will have to rehome him, I just keep putting it off because he loves to snuggle.
You think if I somehow found someone who caponizes my silkie roo really wouldn't crow???
Can they do it on a bird that small?

I have caponized chicks as young as 4 weeks. That said, the overall consensus is to caponize when they are around a pound, and three quarters of a pound for the lighter breeds.

I have kept capons to a year of age before processing and they never crowed. A full capon crowing is rare, and if they do, it doesn't really sound like a crow, from what I understand. Often full grown roosters that are caponized will stop crowing.

I remember somebody who lives on the NC/SC line who caponizes because they were going to let somebody from NC come watch.....I just don't remember who. You might go to the caponizing thread and ask if there is somebody near you who could caponize your Silkie: Graphic Photos of my day learning to caponize is the name of the thread. It is in the Meat Bird section of the forum.

Okay, thank you.
Definitely something for me to think on.
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I don't know that much about it to form an opinion either way, so I will go over to that thread to learn more.
Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom