Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I'm feeling a bit like Hannibal Lechter lately. :drool: I keep looking at my roos trying to decide which will be the tastiest. And I'm trying to decide who to keep for breeding purposes. Hmmm ...

I'm feeling a bit like Hannibal Lechter lately. :drool: I keep looking at my roos trying to decide which will be the tastiest. And I'm trying to decide who to keep for breeding purposes. Hmmm ...

You're not Hannibal Lechter, if you were, you would be thinking about brains and fava beans. :)

Last edited:

You aren't the only one! My turkeys are in trouble too! I had a White Rock hen in trouble, but I sold her and her sister.

I had my hen for dinner...
droolin.gif

I butchered her Monday morning, stuck her in brine (bunch of table salt into water) on Tuesday evening. Slow roasted her Wednesday evening on 275F for 2-3 hours in a covered roasting pan. She was a very fatty bird, but slow roasting cooked most of that out. I cranked up the heat in the end to crisp up the skin. The legs were a tad chewy but tasty, probably a better meat for stewing, but the breast was fantastic, really not very dry at all.

Very, very tasty. So there you have it, 1 1/2 year old hen is still roastable (a question I had asked in the past).
Very nice. I have yet to process a hen. To me, it's different in my head than processing a cockerel. I'll need to get over it sometime. I've put hens down that were suffering, but not for processing.

Slaughtered my first couple ducks today. The first one took a little longer to die than expected, but we refined our technique for #2. My husband stayed inside and wasn't a part of the ordeal at all. I am upset now and he lit into me for not killing #1 fast enough. I dont feel like I did anything wrong, as I did my best with the knowledge that I had. I don't like airing emotions online, but I'm not sure where else would even understand.
From someone that also botched her first kill, I understand this feeling. Thankfully, my husband was holding it for me, otherwise it would have been running all over the yard! (I freaked and let go of the bird) And you feel bad enough for not getting a clean kill without someone else adding to it.

Just finished 9 by myself, it has been a long day.
That is a long day.

So those that skin, just how to you get the skin off the leg at that last joint, where you cut the leg off at?????? I pulled w/ everything I had, and I am not a weak person and I just couldn't get it.
I've had luck pulling, but I wrap the skin around my fingers to get a tighter grip. Those that were tough, I used a knife to help separate it.

Quote: My husband does most of the killing, but I do everything else myself. I have not done another kill since my botched one I mentioned above. If I'm going to do the killing, I want a cone and a sharp knife. The hatchet method does not work for me, I'm too afraid of whacking off my hand, not getting a clean whack like last time, etc. My husband also has a hard time getting his hand in the body cavity.

Kassaundra, quick question. Are you saying that it's a LOT easier to pluck the NN's? I've heard that CX's are also easier.
pop.gif
CX's are pretty easy to pluck with a good scald. They don't have thick, dense feathers like a dual purpose breed does. But sometimes the tiny little breast feathers don't cooperate.

Today is week 8 for my Cornish crosses. I have one that started doing this gurgling thing when it breathes. No nasal discharge or anything like that. Just a deep gurgle on in and out breaths. I wanted to give it another week to grow some more, but it looks like I will have to butcher it this weekend. Anyone else get this gurgling sound with their meat birds?

Today is week 8 for my Cornish crosses.  I have one that started doing this gurgling thing when it breathes. No nasal discharge or anything like that.  Just a deep gurgle on in and out breaths.  I wanted to give it another week to grow some more, but it looks like I will have to butcher it this weekend.  Anyone else get this gurgling sound with their meat birds?

Most likely it is congestive heart failure. We have had to butcher early a few times for it. It is especially important to note if the bird is at all lethargic or the comb color is paler than normal or has a blue or purplish tint to it.

Ok thanks. I didn't notice any lethargy or discoloration. Is this one of those things where I should butcher it in the morning or can it wait a day or two?

If the comb has not faded, then you have a little time. Sooner the better though. Cleaning a dead bird is not recommended and a HUGE loss.

On another note . . .

We processed two batches of muscovey ducks. 14 last Sunday and 14 today. Had one for dinner. Oh so gooooood. TOok us a bit of time: 3-4 hours. We worked in a rhythm and the kids helped to pluck too. BOiling water is a little too hot for tender hands but every bit of effort on their part really helped.

THe duck pools stay clean now that just the adults are swimming. lol

If the comb has not faded, then you have a little time. Sooner the better though. Cleaning a dead bird is not recommended and a HUGE loss.

On another note . . .

We processed two batches of muscovey ducks. 14 last Sunday and 14 today. Had one for dinner. Oh so gooooood. TOok us a bit of time: 3-4 hours. We worked in a rhythm and the kids helped to pluck too. BOiling water is a little too hot for tender hands but every bit of effort on their part really helped.

THe duck pools stay clean now that just the adults are swimming. lol

How old were they?

I got some 11 week old muscovy (got them a few weeks ago)
big_smile.png

They're awesome birds, but very skittish still.

Lost a little EE roo to congestive heart failure a few days ago.

Really hate that. And it's so unusual in such a lean little bird.

Back
Top Bottom