Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Well, Fish and Wing, some of us haven't gotten our All American canner yet, and refuse to settle for a cheaper model. If you want to bring me your pressure canner...
woot.gif
I should actually have mine soon. It is a year later than I had hoped, but you know they aren't cheap. (Wing, I am under the impression that you were the other PA person with that canner)
DH is happiest about my chickens because when one gets processed, he gets chicken and dumplings. As soon as I get my canner, I will be trying the canned chicken, Wing. I may be PMing you a boat load of questions though.

I'll be processing some older birds soon. I do have a pressure canner. I've never pressure cooked chicken before. Does anyone have a really good recipe? Also, I've never done chicken and dumplings before. Help!

I'll be processing some older birds soon. I do have a pressure canner. I've never pressure cooked chicken before. Does anyone have a really good recipe? Also, I've never done chicken and dumplings before. Help!

chicken and dumplings can be easy, very easy, or ridiculously easy. Cook the chicken, just toss it in a pot and boil it until cooked, then drop in biscuit dough, for easy, you can make the biscuits from scratch, for very easy, get bisquick, add some milk, mix and done (instructions are even on the box), or for ridiculously easy, buy biscuits in a can and drop on top. You drop the biscuits while the water is boiling, then reduce the heat and let it cook for another 10 minutes or so. I personally enjoy mine with salt and pepper added.

Allowing your "old girls" to range until "something gets them" is not being a softie.  It's cruel. 

Please consider finding someone to handle it for you if you cannot bring yourself to dispatch them.  It's much less painful/fearful and much faster for an experienced dispatcher to kill them rather than allowing a predator to get them.

This comment surprises me coming from a moderator.

It doesn't sound any different than regular free ranging to me.

As mentioned earlier here is my Chicken and Dumplings recipe

1 whole chicken, cut up but not boned or skinned (although skinless would be fine, I just like the extra flavor the skin adds and just remove it before eating)
8-10 cups strong chicken broth (if using canned add a bullion cube or two to it) needs to be enough broth to cover chicken pieces, so amount may depend on the size of your pot and the size of the chicken pieces.
4 Tblsp dried vegetable flakes .... I get mine at a bulk food store the mennonite run, awesome for odd little cooking ingredients!
1 Tblsp Minced garlic
1/2 tsp season salt ... brand of your choice
1 tsp rubbed Sage
1 tsp Rosemary (I use the flakes, not the powdered, but probably doesn't make too much difference)
1 Tblsp Celery flake
A pinch each of .... Toasted Sesame seed,
Chives
Parsley
Mint
2 whole Bay leaves
1 cup chunky cut carrots
1 cup chunky cut fresh celery
5 stalks green onion, chopped (just the lower 1/2 of the stalk, don't need to include the tops)

Dumplings.... 2 cups flour
1 large egg
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (+/-)

Directions.....
Add all of the top ingredients into a large covered heavy bottomed pot you can cook with on the stove top or a dutch oven style pot for in the oven (I do mine on the stovetop)
Bring to a slow boil and then turn down to a simmer and cover, allow to simmer for about 2 hrs, I usually stir and flip the chicken pieces over about every 30-45 mins to make sure all sides
are getting the same broth time. If it starts to dry too much you can add more broth as needed, but covered at slow simmer usually doesn't loose much.

When you notice the bones are pulling out (about 2 hrs) you can then mix the dumplings up in a seperate bowl till they are a sticky dough consistancy and drop the dough by the small
Tablespoon full onto the top of the chicken so it floats on the broth. Cover and allow to continue to simmer about 15 -20 minutes till dumplings have raised and are dry on top. (I usually break one apart to make sure the dumplings are dry and fluffy on the inside.

Serve with noodles, potatoes or rice as you prefer.

Please note, quantities are approximate and can be adjusted to your likes... I just came up with this recipe over a couple of years experimenting and throwing things in that seemed like a good idea at the time, some I didn't like so they were removed from the recipe, other things we did like, so they stayed. The dumplings are another experiment that seemed to work OK but there may be lighter/fluffier recipes out there. If you have a good dumplings recipe please share!!!

If you try this recipe and come up with alternatives/additions please let me know! This isn't a 100 yr, set in stone, family heirloom, it's my work in progress...
Here is my Chicken and Dumplings recipe... I posted it last year and dug it up since we were talking about it again. DH and I processed 8 extra roosters on Wednesday, most were in the 18-20 week range (barnyard mixes) and 2 were Barred Rocks about 22 weeks. All had been allowed to free range with the flock until the day before butcher day. We brought some with us to camp and C & D was dinner tonight after an afternoon fishing. DH said no rooster is safe as long as I keep making this for dinner!
gig.gif
Remember... all of the seasoning is optional and should be based on personal tastes and what you have in the cupboard! I didn't have carrots in the fridge at camp and was out of chives and DH still cleaned his plate!

Well, Fish and Wing, some of us haven't gotten our All American canner yet, and refuse to settle for a cheaper model. If you want to bring me your pressure canner...
woot.gif
I should actually have mine soon. It is a year later than I had hoped, but you know they aren't cheap. (Wing, I am under the impression that you were the other PA person with that canner)
DH is happiest about my chickens because when one gets processed, he gets chicken and dumplings. As soon as I get my canner, I will be trying the canned chicken, Wing. I may be PMing you a boat load of questions though.

I was lucky and found mine in the bargain cave at Cabelas and got them to take another $25 off of it on top of their sale price! I was a happy camper that day! And btw MCC.... you will NOT be sent for supplies! LOL

Back
Top Bottom