Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Thank you! I have never canned meat but did recently pick up a pressure canner / cooker with the hope of doing just that... hearing from someone who has experience with exactly what we were wanting to try makes me feel better. I do a lot of recipes with chunk meat so that will be perfect!
When I process a bunch of older hens and/or roosters, I grind the meat coarsely, pack it in pint jars with a half-tsp of salt....no liquid....and then pressure can it. It processes in its own juices, and is great for soup, chili, chicken salad. Then I make stock with the carcasses.

It is called over conditioned.

Too much protein can cause this.
I lost an older hatchery hen to this a few weeks ago. The report from UC Davis said over conditioned in one place and obese in another. I need to rethink how I'm feeding my flock. I have mixed ages so the hens have some access to starter feed with higher protein and the chicks have access to any layer pellets that the older girls spill from the PVC feeders.

I kind of like the term over conditioned. I'm not over weight. I'm over conditioned!
big_smile.png

I lost an older hatchery hen to this a few weeks ago. The report from UC Davis said over conditioned in one place and obese in another. I need to rethink how I'm feeding my flock. I have mixed ages so the hens have some access to starter feed with higher protein and the chicks have access to any layer pellets that the older girls spill from the PVC feeders.

I kind of like the term over conditioned. I'm not over weight. I'm over conditioned!
big_smile.png
So I am over conditioned and hot, since things expand when they get hot!
gig.gif

Thank you! I have never canned meat but did recently pick up a pressure canner / cooker with the hope of doing just that... hearing from someone who has experience with exactly what we were wanting to try makes me feel better. I do a lot of recipes with chunk meat so that will be perfect!

When I process a bunch of older hens and/or roosters, I grind the meat coarsely, pack it in pint jars with a half-tsp of salt....no liquid....and then pressure can it.  It processes in its own juices, and is great for soup, chili, chicken salad.  Then I make stock with the carcasses.

Thanks, I never thought to grind it first, that would make for a quick chicken salad at lunch on a busy day.

Quote: IMO, the difference is allowing the chickens to come in at night, have food and water, and doing it with the intent of death. Letting my child walk to school vs: Kicking my child out of the house.

I meant no offense; and I posted as a member. I am first a member, then, a moderator.

I simply try to respect my poultry; they give and give for me, the least I can do is make sure their end comes swiftly, without being terrorized, chased, or otherwise agitated. It's just an opinion, take it or leave it.

Great discussion here - really enjoying this thread!

Back
Top Bottom