Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I knew about it, had done this many many years ago. But for some reason this time... it's different. I'm thoroughly unsure of my original plan, for the moment I have cancelled my 15 pioneer chicks next week from murraymcmurray. I have no problme with just getting a few hens locally for eggs. Meat plans on the back burner for now I guess. I appreciate the suggestions but the whole concept has got me freaked a little bit. I really thought I could do it like I did 15 years ago. Things do change I guess.

Can you find someone locally? When I first got my chickens I was assured by the feed store that a local person would slaughter them for me. After I bought my chickens, I asked for the contact information only to learn that this person only slaughtered for 4h clubs. I don't think I would have bought chickens if I had known, so I ended up stuck learning to do it myself with a lot of help, coaching and hand holding from this group. I have yet to have the courage to buy meat chickens, and only slaughter the extra cockerels. This spineless wonder takes her favorite hens to the vet to be euthanized. Sad.

I do appreciate the replies in my case, and I am thankful I found this forum however long ago. The people here are great. That being said I am very unsure of my meat bird plan so for now I have cancelled my order from MurrayMcMurray which was set to hatch on the 27th, and delivered that week (15 Pioneers specifically for freezer camp). I figured I did this 15 years ago, should be doable now but I was dead wrong. I will get a few hens locally just for eggs I think.

Broom handle sounds equally difficult, not sure how that bodes with bleeding out well either. I will give it some time, maybe make or come up with a cone and try the jugular slice. Slamming down the cleaver just seems so violent.

The hatchet method is violent, and messy. You will have blood splatter on you. You will have to hold them while they flap. I don't like this method for myself doing the killing as I'm a terrible swing, but it's what works for DH. If he's willing to do the deed, then I'm gonna let him. I do the rest of the processing myself. The killing part is certainly the hardest. I botched my first kill and had to swing again, which was awful.

I have watched the cone method, and they still go through the death throes, but it's more contained in the cone. You pretty much just see the feet moving. If you put a trash can under the cone with water in it, it will catch the blood and keep it from clotting - it's easier to clean up this way. Less blood splatter, but you have to be good with a sharp knife. If I have to kill birds myself, I plan to switch to this method.

I have no experience at all with the broomstick method. I found meaties to be easier to dispatch. They get so huge, eat so much and poop like crazy, that it is a relief to get them in the freezer.

I had to get chickens I didn't know for our first processing attempt, which I will cook tonight coq au vin.

I have a wheaten ameracuna Jeanette that hasn't laid an egg in 5 months, I burst into tears when I think of having to cull her in a couple weeks. I named her after my favorite aunt, and she's the first chicken that laid me an egg. I adore her... but I have too many other chickens that want to lay me eggs.

I personally prefer the chop. But this woman does the most beautiful job of dispatching a bird via slicing the throat. If I could do it any way this is perfection and is done with a love and connection that all animals deserve... IMO :)
(.... I don't do it this way because my DH does the deed... One day I want to be like this women.)

Everyone loves that video.. reality is sadly nothing like that. Most folks aren't dispatching sweet ol' hens and are quite new at it. This lady has done in probably a hundred times over.

We went in expecting it to be just like that video... Oh my were we wrong. It was awful.

After that fiasco we found the broomstick method and it is so peaceful. Birds calm down held upside down. You just gently lay their head on the ground, put the stick over the neck, step on both sides of the stick and yank on the legs til you feel a pop. Bye bye bird. Flapping is over and done within minutes, the blood has pooled in the head/neck area. No mess, no drama.

I will never go back.

Everyone loves that video.. reality is sadly nothing like that. Most folks aren't dispatching sweet ol' hens and are quite new at it. This lady has done in probably a hundred times over.

We went in expecting it to be just like that video... Oh my were we wrong. It was awful.

After that fiasco we found the broomstick method and it is so peaceful. Birds calm down held upside down. You just gently lay their head on the ground, put the stick over the neck, step on both sides of the stick and yank on the legs til you feel a pop. Bye bye bird. Flapping is over and done within minutes, the blood has pooled in the head/neck area. No mess, no drama.

I will never go back.

My current avian vet (who wanted to be a chicken pathologist in school but decided he liked chicken too much to only deal with dead ones) and a previous vet who did all my vet work for my parrots also prefer dislocation. I'm too afraid I'll mess up. I'll have to look into it. I have another 9-month-old cockerel that needs to go. I just can't have my hens constantly terrorized by these rude young cockerels.

My current avian vet (who wanted to be a chicken pathologist in school but decided he liked chicken too much to only deal with dead ones) and a previous vet who did all my vet work for my parrots also prefer dislocation. I'm too afraid I'll mess up. I'll have to look into it. I have another 9-month-old cockerel that needs to go. I just can't have my hens constantly terrorized by these rude young cockerels.

It's pretty well fool proof. I did it the other day by myself. My husband walks over and he's like "Alright let's do it" and I'm like "Uh, she's dead honey.. that's her flapping out." I did it so quick he didn't realize it. Maybe I will tape it next time. It's not all that gruesome.

I do appreciate the replies in my case, and I am thankful I found this forum however long ago. The people here are great. That being said I am very unsure of my meat bird plan so for now I have cancelled my order from MurrayMcMurray which was set to hatch on the 27th, and delivered that week (15 Pioneers specifically for freezer camp). I figured I did this 15 years ago, should be doable now but I was dead wrong. I will get a few hens locally just for eggs I think.

Broom handle sounds equally difficult, not sure how that bodes with bleeding out well either. I will give it some time, maybe make or come up with a cone and try the jugular slice. Slamming down the cleaver just seems so violent.
Do what feels right for you. If you only want the enjoyment of chickens and eggs, that's fine. A lot of people hate the idea of a hatchet. Me for one. I might try the broomstick method or may just do the cone and bleed out.
highfive.gif

I personally prefer the chop. But this woman does the most beautiful job of dispatching a bird via slicing the throat. If I could do it any way this is perfection and is done with a love and connection that all animals deserve... IMO
smile.png

(.... I don't do it this way because my DH does the deed... One day I want to be like this women.)
Watching this video was the reason I felt that I might actually be able to do it. Love the caring and respect.
big_smile.png

It's pretty well fool proof. I did it the other day by myself. My husband walks over and he's like "Alright let's do it" and I'm like "Uh, she's dead honey.. that's her flapping out." I did it so quick he didn't realize it. Maybe I will tape it next time. It's not all that gruesome.

I would defiantly like to see it done please post if you tape it.

Back
Top Bottom