Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We still have 7-8 more chickens to process around a week before Christmas. I find I can skin them faster than plucking. So a plucker is on my wish list besides incubators and brooder box stuff.

We did a production red capon and left the other production red as a rooster, the capon is much bigger.

We gave away Nugget my haffie roo, my bf couldn't stand the thought to process him, but he was getting very very loud very often. The speckled sussex were very loud roosters.

The ducks took so long to process! I'm not looking forward to that again.

My meat doe Grace absorbed her pregnancy, so we rebreed her this past Sunday. My friend who breed her says if we don't want to keep her they want her, she's adorable.

It's very hard to cull and process. I hear bunnies are easier. I cry, but I'm soft hearted. I know these critters have such a great happy life here with me, and the meat at the store really isn't as happy and humanely processed as my animals. This feeds my family and friends. I keep reassuring myself this.

It is getting easier, as practicality sets in. But emotions still come into play.. obviously as we rehomed a rooster instead of eating him and his nane is Nugget. Lol.

A plucker would make things so much easier.

Don't tempt me with the property next door being abandoned for 6+ years and the neighbors suggested that they're open to me "expanding" my urban homestead into that yard. Don't be giving me no ideas now. ;)

Last edited:
We just processed our first bird. I hope it gets easier. I have to figure out a way to stop putting my human emotions into the chicken. I love being a part of BYC. As soon as it was over all i could think to do was come and reach out here for support. i'm sure this seems silly to some but this was pretty tough for me.
Great job!

Good job!

It is never easy but it does get easier. Let us know how the bird tastes when you cook it.
Well said!

They had a fabulous deal at Meyer the other day. With shipping I could get 100 fry pan bargain chicks for $69! But... where the heck do you put 100 chicks that take a few months to become eating size?
lol.png
That would be an issue, but not as big as processing 100 of them!

That would be an issue, but not as big as processing 100 of them!

Being dual purpose birds, I figure you just pick them off as they become too loud or start getting fussy with the others. A few a week. It takes much longer for Jersey giants to be a decent size than say a plymouth rock.. and production reds.. well, you can wait forever for those
lol.png

And maybe you get lucky and get an accidental pullet in there? Does that ever happen?
lol.png

Nooo... they have ideal buildings already for chicken coops and places for goats, bunnies, maybe even a pig or so.. don't get me started.. b/c now I'm going to go take pictures. Get the neighbors all excited about lots of fresh produce, eggs, milk, meat from my yard, and honey. Adding beehives in the spring, 3-5 of them.

We're taking this urban homesteading thing seriously after discovering how very broken the food system in the us is.

My bf encourages my efforts because he has seen how much better he feels since we started this journey in June. Just 6 months has really changed our lives and our neighborhood. Some people would look at us as lunatics, but here on byc we seem to be the norm.

We have chickens that are more family pets than food, it happens. Now it's getting to the hard part, where only the favorite ones are left rooster wise. And the size difference between the production red capon and intact rooster is pretty noticeable, freezer camp is set for the 21st. We're going to know more then number wise.

The capon is over twice as heavy as the non capon.

Nooo... they have ideal buildings already for chicken coops and places for goats, bunnies, maybe even a pig or so.. don't get me started.. b/c now I'm going to go take pictures. Get the neighbors all excited about lots of fresh produce, eggs, milk, meat from my yard, and honey. Adding beehives in the spring, 3-5 of them.

We're taking this urban homesteading thing seriously after discovering how very broken the food system in the us is.

My bf encourages my efforts because he has seen how much better he feels since we started this journey in June. Just 6 months has really changed our lives and our neighborhood. Some people would look at us as lunatics, but here on byc we seem to be the norm.

We have chickens that are more family pets than food, it happens. Now it's getting to the hard part, where only the favorite ones are left rooster wise. And the size difference between the production red capon and intact rooster is pretty noticeable, freezer camp is set for the 21st. We're going to know more then number wise.

The capon is over twice as heavy as the non capon.

We have a huge vacant lot across the street, plus the Fairgrounds next to us doesn't need all of that land right
duc.gif
? I looked into bee-keeping before chickens even. I was scared away by all of the road-blocks and issues, not to mention money that needs to be put into modern bee-keeping.

Can you post a pic of the capon? My capon is growing FAST and getting pretty with his splashes of color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom