Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Being dual purpose birds, I figure you just pick them off as they become too loud or start getting fussy with the others.
That's my system. I don't choose slaughter days based on age or how much the boys weigh or how much they've filled in. I pick the days based on how annoying they are!
lau.gif

That's my system. I don't choose slaughter days based on age or how much the boys weigh or how much they've filled in. I pick the days based on how annoying they are!
lau.gif

LOL I try to go by age/weights but for the most part it ends up being a day they get too obnoxious that Im like "thats it Im scheduling now"
lau.gif

I have 3-4 cocks/cockerels that need to get done soon as I have to many males. Im having a tough time with one of them because he is just the best cock bird ever, so sweet and gentle and people friendly. I don't know if I will ever do him in, he may stay here forever lol.

I may be getting a few piglets soon for the first time ever. Does anyone here raise piglets for meat? If so how tough is it to not get attached?

Radom story
My MIL works with an awesome Jamaican lady, Who raised pigs back in Jamaica... Her pigs were spoiled they even would come into the house and have dinner with them at the table... They were very close to their pigs they were pets until they were dinner... I haven't seen the pictures but MIL has, the pig really ate dinner with them inside.... Sorry not much help I'm sure just thought of it when you said you want to raise pigs...

We have a huge vacant lot across the street, plus the Fairgrounds next to us doesn't need all of that land right
duc.gif
? I looked into bee-keeping before chickens even. I was scared away by all of the road-blocks and issues, not to mention money that needs to be put into modern bee-keeping.

Can you post a pic of the capon? My capon is growing FAST and getting pretty with his splashes of color.
I don't think beekeeping is all that expensive. I have maybe $500 in my hive, bees and equipment. I have FAR more than that in my chickens in coops, fencing, etc.

I am looking into getting my own extractor though, so that will up my investment. I borrowed an extractor from a friend this year. I was hoping there would be Black Friday sales on extractors, but no such luck.

Last edited:
We are looking to add 3 beehives in the spring, we may build ourselves or buy. How much honey do your hives give you?

I have to stop looking on Craigslist for stuff bunny or chicken related. For Christmas I have 2 bators and a 2 brooder heater thingies. My bf is a bit exasperated with me atm, but realizes that it makes me happy. As long as I'm not unhappy, he's all for "whatever she thinks she's doing".

The size difference between the capons is size wise, but now that I really think on it, the "intact rooster" does an egg song and my white star roo Brazen mates him daily. Maybe I have an imposter rooster or??

We are looking to add 3 beehives in the spring, we may build ourselves or buy. How much honey do your hives give you?

I have to stop looking on Craigslist for stuff bunny or chicken related. For Christmas I have 2 bators and a 2 brooder heater thingies. My bf is a bit exasperated with me atm, but realizes that it makes me happy. As long as I'm not unhappy, he's all for "whatever she thinks she's doing".

The size difference between the capons is size wise, but now that I really think on it, the "intact rooster" does an egg song and my white star roo Brazen mates him daily. Maybe I have an imposter rooster or??
Look for an egg soon....

Back
Top Bottom