Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

@Happy Chooks how long have you had bees? I never went far enough into bee keeping to talk to someone who had them (only 1 person I know of close to my area anyway). As soon as I started researching it several years ago the challenges I hadn't thought of before, like mites and neighbors using pesticides, stoped me from investigating further
hide.gif
We started our little homestead off with chickens since the house and property we bought had once been a chicken farm. All we had to do was some cleaning and a couple of updates!
D.gif
My main cost thus far came from the birds themselves and this year (3rd year) they managed to start paying for themselves! Now of course I have to buy more chickens.........

I may add some hives in a couple of years, but I have a couple of other projects I want to start first. A family member is thinking about starting bees, so maybe I can learn a bit from his trail and errors!!!!
pop.gif
My current bees are going through their 2nd winter, so I'm still pretty new to beekeeping. I had a set of bees 3 years ago, but lost them over the first winter. The following spring I put new bees in the hive and they are doing great now. I had my first honey harvest this year. There is a lot to learn with bees, just like chickens, but they are very interesting. I'm shocked that mine are still bringing in pollen - I have no idea where they are getting it, but they are finding something in bloom.

You should come join us on Backyard Herds, there is a beekeeping section over there now. It's pretty new still, so there isn't a ton of activity.

My meat doe Grace absorbed her pregnancy, so we rebreed her this past Sunday. My friend who breed her says if we don't want to keep her they want her, she's adorable.

Just catching up on the thread, but if goats are anything like horses, you mght need to wait a few months to re-breed her depending on how far along she was. In horses, if the they've formed endometrial cups, it takes months. Different species, but they might share some similarities.

Grace is a bunny rabbit not a goat or horse lol. It's ok. I hope you're not offended, but my bf @duckmang named my funny walking white bresse rooster Jean Pierre... another rooster is called Boris.

We are getting very excited for beehives in the spring!

I have been coming on here for a year. Even before I got chickens. Seven months before. I feel like I have learned an immense amount of info. BUT, if I ever say anything to offend anyone or make you think I'm getting above myself, you have my permission is say two words. Rooster Cull.
That says it all. Never have I made such a production of anything. Thank you Jesus, I was alone on the property.
lau.gif

This was the single rooster in the Cobb 500 breeders rescue. He was about 15 months old and about 15 lbs. Big heavy bones. I was going to try something new and use the broomstick method. Now, I'm 67 and me and him did not agree at all. I had him bound and covered in a towel and when I tried to pull up. Nada. He struggles and I went flying backwards.
gig.gif
Pitiful. I managed to get back up and retrieve him. And I had no other way planned except to do it like the lady on youtube. Wrapped in a towel in my lap. I cut onle side of the throat and he was bleeding fine so I didn't bother with the other. After 3 minutes, I thought, wow, this was easy, he didn't even struggle. Then he raised his head and looked around. Not laughing anymore. I had to do the other side and hold him while he thrashed around mightily. Finally it was done and I began to peel him. I was only going to do the breasts and thighs and legs but he was so big I couldn't cut through the bones. I managed to fillet the legs and one thigh and the other came out whole. I have about 6-7 lbs of meat but I think I'll be keeping the hens forever. And ever. Amen.

You would be right if you think I'm not ever telling my family.
tongue2.gif

I have been coming on here for a year. Even before I got chickens. Seven months before. I feel like I have learned an immense amount of info. BUT, if I ever say anything to offend anyone or make you think I'm getting above myself, you have my permission is say two words. Rooster Cull.
That says it all. Never have I made such a production of anything. Thank you Jesus, I was alone on the property.
lau.gif

This was the single rooster in the Cobb 500 breeders rescue. He was about 15 months old and about 15 lbs. Big heavy bones. I was going to try something new and use the broomstick method. Now, I'm 67 and me and him did not agree at all. I had him bound and covered in a towel and when I tried to pull up. Nada. He struggles and I went flying backwards.
gig.gif
Pitiful. I managed to get back up and retrieve him. And I had no other way planned except to do it like the lady on youtube. Wrapped in a towel in my lap. I cut onle side of the throat and he was bleeding fine so I didn't bother with the other. After 3 minutes, I thought, wow, this was easy, he didn't even struggle. Then he raised his head and looked around. Not laughing anymore. I had to do the other side and hold him while he thrashed around mightily. Finally it was done and I began to peel him. I was only going to do the breasts and thighs and legs but he was so big I couldn't cut through the bones. I managed to fillet the legs and one thigh and the other came out whole. I have about 6-7 lbs of meat but I think I'll be keeping the hens forever. And ever. Amen.

tongue2.gif
With big ones, you have to find the joints and the snap them to find the tendons to cut them.

It takes a very sharp knife to do this too.

Grace is a bunny rabbit not a goat or horse lol. It's ok. I hope you're not offended, but my bf @duckmang named my funny walking white bresse rooster Jean Pierre... another rooster is called Boris.

We are getting very excited for beehives in the spring!

Not offended at all. I don't know why, but I was sure you were talking about a goat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaB220

lau.gif

gig.gif

tongue2.gif

The first one is never easy. You did well enough. And well enough is pretty good for a first time.

One suggestion? I'm not quite as old as you, but I'm not young either. And I have a balance disorder. So here's how I've used the broom. Successfully three times. (Wow, such an expert
roll.png
)

I have done this in my laundry room. I have a nail in the rafters ready to hang the bird on.

First I ready a stout loop of cord. Frankly, my favorite is the bottom inch cut off an old t-shirt. It's soft, and strong enough to do the job.
Then I get the broom and a thick towel. I lay the towel down double thick on the floor right in front of the washer. Then I lay the broom down on the towel, parallel to the washer. Then I get the bird and turn him upside down. He struggles for a bit, but I talk softly and get the cord looped softly but firmly around his feet at this point. I use a continuous loop, which I slip between his legs, then pull the end of the loop backwards over both feet. Like this db where the straight sides of those letters are the cord between the rooster's feet, and the circular parts of the letters wrap around the rooster's ankles. It is fast to put on, and there is no knot to come undone.
When he's not struggling, I lay his head and neck on the towel with his beak toward the washer. Then I step on the bristles end of the broom, which tightens the broomstick but doesn't do the job yet. Lastly, and as quickly as possible, in this order: I lean on the washer for support, step on the broomstick on the other side of his head, and yank up as hard as I can.

At this point I can feel the feet spasming. Then I stand up, remove the broom, and hang the bird on the nail and WALK OUT OF THE ROOM for at least 15 minutes.

When I return, he's dead. And then I can move on to the butchering part.

MargaretYakoda- Great description; thank you. So many people like this method that I'm thinking about trying it, but got to read enough that I feel like I know what to expect and how to keep the "well that didn't go as planned" details to a minimum.

Thanks.

I still can't kill my chickens and ducks yet. My bf does the kill cut and I still pluck.

Linda! Congrats on getting such a big boy done by yourself! I can't imagine trying to do it by myself. Agh. You are so much braver than I.

Yesterday morning started off my roosters crowing contests (12 roos btw) even with 3 of them having had the crow reduction surgery... it still was pretty obnoxious.

Freezer camp is set for this Saturday for these last roosters. Then no more processing until bunnies are born and weaned etc.

It's not easy doing this, especially for the ones I raised from hatchlings. And now all we have left are the roos I really like. :(

The first one is never easy. You did well enough. And well enough is pretty good for a first time.

One suggestion? I'm not quite as old as you, but I'm not young either. And I have a balance disorder. So here's how I've used the broom. Successfully three times. (Wow, such an expert
roll.png
)

I have done this in my laundry room. I have a nail in the rafters ready to hang the bird on.

First I ready a stout loop of cord. Frankly, my favorite is the bottom inch cut off an old t-shirt. It's soft, and strong enough to do the job.
Then I get the broom and a thick towel. I lay the towel down double thick on the floor right in front of the washer. Then I lay the broom down on the towel, parallel to the washer. Then I get the bird and turn him upside down. He struggles for a bit, but I talk softly and get the cord looped softly but firmly around his feet at this point. I use a continuous loop, which I slip between his legs, then pull the end of the loop backwards over both feet. Like this db where the straight sides of those letters are the cord between the rooster's feet, and the circular parts of the letters wrap around the rooster's ankles. It is fast to put on, and there is no knot to come undone.
When he's not struggling, I lay his head and neck on the towel with his beak toward the washer. Then I step on the bristles end of the broom, which tightens the broomstick but doesn't do the job yet. Lastly, and as quickly as possible, in this order: I lean on the washer for support, step on the broomstick on the other side of his head, and yank up as hard as I can.

At this point I can feel the feet spasming. Then I stand up, remove the broom, and hang the bird on the nail and WALK OUT OF THE ROOM for at least 15 minutes.

When I return, he's dead. And then I can move on to the butchering part.
Wow, Margaret, what a great post. Now this is something I can do. And it'll be in my storeroom where nobody can watch.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom