Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

The soup turned out WONDERFUL! Homemade egg noodles and bone broth made it even better
smile.png
devouring it as we speak lol
Soup from a home grown bird is the best!

I processed 6 rabbits today, after almost 2 weeks of being sick, I wasn't as strong as I thought, totally winded me a few times. After the 6th was finished I fell into bed and stayed there for a few hours. Not used to being so weak.

I processed 6 rabbits today, after almost 2 weeks of being sick, I wasn't as strong as I thought, totally winded me a few times. After the 6th was finished I fell into bed and stayed there for a few hours. Not used to being so weak.

I hope you feel better soon!

Good job with the rabbit processing.

Thanks, feeling better, but still really weak from the respiratory bug. The buns really needed to be done, I was several weeks late on them, and didn't get everyone done that needed, but made a dent anyway.

I was here a little bit ago, saying that my chickens squawk when I cut their necks. Well, I got my knife professionally sharpened and I just processed one cockerel. This one squawked too. I also took jajeanpierre's advice about waiting with them hanging there, til they don't react when you touch them, and then do the cut. I guess that didn't help either. :( I'm frustrated and sad. I don't want them to be in unnecessary pain, you know? But I don't know what to do differently. Any thoughts, anyone? I still have three more to do.

I was here a little bit ago, saying that my chickens squawk when I cut their necks. Well, I got my knife professionally sharpened and I just processed one cockerel. This one squawked too. I also took jajeanpierre's advice about waiting with them hanging there, til they don't react when you touch them, and then do the cut. I guess that didn't help either. :( I'm frustrated and sad. I don't want them to be in unnecessary pain, you know? But I don't know what to do differently. Any thoughts, anyone? I still have three more to do.
Are you using a cone?

If so, and if the knife is very sharp, you could decapitate the chicken. Death is instant then--Spinal cord is severed so no pain.

Another way would be to use very sharp pruning shears.

I don't have a cone, but I'm tying their feet so they're hanging upside down from a tree, so it's pretty much the same thing, but with more flapping as they die.

I'm not sure I could decapitate them in one cut, so I'm kinda scared to give that a go. :/

Back
Top Bottom