Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

One has to have a really sharp axe for ducks and geese on the block and even then sometimes it takes two whacks. I'd just put them in a cone and do the neck cut just like a chicken....that way one is not having to cut through the entirety of the neck but just through the skin and down deeply enough into vessels.

This is with an axe, gives you a good idea of what to expect... Laying the log or block down the way this fellow does proved a useful tip.
That said I think I'd like killing cones for this years ducks (and chickens)

Last edited:
One has to have a really sharp axe for ducks and geese on the block and even then sometimes it takes two whacks. I'd just put them in a cone and do the neck cut just like a chicken....that way one is not having to cut through the entirety of the neck but just through the skin and down deeply enough into vessels.

I agree with beekissed here. I've processed ducks and turkeys with a neck cut like the chickens after trying an axe with very unsatisfactory results.
th.gif
Not saying it's not possible to use an axe effectively, just saying that I couldn't use one very effectively and it was a bummer.

Very tame duck in the vid. I've only had experience with free range stock and they fight MUCH, much harder to live and I never had one calmly sit there with just hands holding the wings down while someone else stretched the neck. And we used the log on the side also. Maybe that would work well with tame, penned ducks...I've never seen it go that smoothly for our free rangers. Even after the kill our ducks put up much more fight and flopped all over the yard and back.

No scovies here to butcher. The ladies just started laying last Sunday. An egg a day so far
big_smile.png
Tasty eggs too... I need to build them a proper shelter before I let them sit on eggs.

But I'm taking notes for future use!

When I've done geese I did the hatchet/stump, and yup, took a few whacks. These guys are just as big as the geese. Not too comfortable with an ax or hatchet, so I will take your guys advice and I'll just bleed them out. I really prefer the head to be removed or neck broken even though I know bleeding out is humane too. I just like to be extra sure they aren't feeling anything. But I think its safe to say that it feels better than multiple ax whacks, and maybe I'll practice with the pellet gun on the first one once its gone and can't feel anything. Next batch I am doing as soon as they are big enough, around 3-4 months, not waiting this long again.
Thanks!

I procrastinated awhile, but my flock is down to one drake. It's a heck of a job for one not very big person! Ended up duct taping legs and wings.
Plucking actually wasn't too bad, perfect timing so no pin feathers. I had "helpers" for the first, did the rest on my own. Managed to slice my hand and give myself a stitch too! And interesting fact, scovies have a very sharp claw on their wing. Prehistoric monsters, lol.
Felt horrible doing it, but it's so peaceful out there now. Relieved its over, and think my ducks are too!
My helpers

The sharp claw on the wing

Clean up crew

And my stitched up hand

I was just too plain worn out to get pictures of the finished product by the time I was done. Feel like I ran a marathon today. :)

The cut was my fault. I was down to the last one (did 4) and wasn't being too careful, just rushing to get it done, and it was dark by then. Small price to pay for peace in the flock though, lol!

Back
Top Bottom