Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Well I tried eating the cooked feet but there just wasn't any meat on them to speak of and tiny thin slivers of bone/tendon, so once the stock was made, I gave them to the chickens as a treat...no complaints there! I picked over the carcass and got 1.5lbs of good meat off each bird plus another 4 oz or so in slivers from the wings, neck, back etc that will go into the broth and I would guess there will be about 4 pints of broth from the two carcasses. I'm very happy with the flavour although not as intense as I had expected... which to be honest I'm perhaps a little relieved at, as I was worried I wouldn't like it with the feet in it.

These two boys had smaller testes than the previous lads I have butchered and I wonder if that was the reason why the previous ones tasted strong/gamey.
Does anyone know if it is ok to feed the testes back to the chickens or will the hormones cause problems. They got the heart (after I had made stock with them) and the lungs which they loved. I kept the livers and gizzards for myself

I decided that it was going to take less space in the freezer if I cooked both birds and stripped the meat off rather than freeze whole birds or even portions, so my slow cooker has been on two nights running. I've saved the skin which was all soft from the slow cooking and I'm toying with crisping it up in the oven....is that very naughty? Some of these celebrity chefs serve a crisp of chicken skin on top of their dishes similar to pork crackling....if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me! I didn't go to the trouble of plucking these birds to then throw the skin out!

What does everyone here use to scald your poultry? For our first bird we processed (muscovy drake) we only had a 20 quart stock pot to dunk him in and that was a disaster! He was so big he didn't fit so my DH had to dunk the top half, then flip him around and dunk the bottom half. Hard to do when dealing with nearly boiling water. Not to mention the water was on our stove in the kitchen. It has a hood above it so he actually didn't have a whole lot of room to do it....ugh. the muscovy ended up being 9 lbs 13 oz after he was totally processed. We have two more drakes of similar size to cull. I have a 40 quart pot now which should be big enough but I still have the problem of my heat source the stove definitely isn't going to work. DH wants to build a stand that will sit over the burn barrel out of some rebar we have laying around. What does everyone else use?

Last edited:
What does everyone here use to scald your poultry? For our first bird we processed (muscovy drake) we only had a 20 quart stock pot to dunk him in and that was a disaster! He was so big he didn't fit so my DH had to dunk the top half, then flip him around and dunk the bottom half. Hard to do when dealing with nearly boiling water. Not to mention the water was on our stove in the kitchen. It has a hood above it so he actually didn't have a whole lot of room to do it....ugh. the muscovy ended up being 9 lbs 13 oz after he was totally processed. We have two more drakes of similar size to cull. I have a 40 quart pot now which should be big enough but I still have the problem of my heat source the stove definitely isn't going to work. DH wants to build a stand that will sit over the burn barrel out of some rebar we have laying around. What does everyone else use?

We're rookies but we used a propane turkey fryer and corresponding pot and it worked great.

We use a 5 gallon bucket with a submersible heater. The first year that we had chickens and we're having into winter, we bought a submersible heater to add to their water to keep it from freezing. When we got home, we realized that we had accidentally bought one that heats the water to boiling lol. No, we didn't put it in their water, we figured it out first lol. Best accidental purchase ever. We use a bigger bucket when we do turkeys.

Quote:
We have one of those heaters! A friend borrowed it a while back to heat a baptismal at their church! They didn't want teeth chattering in the unheated water in winter! I told him to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and time it to see how long it took to heat that, estimate the amount of water in the baptismal and calculate the time needed plus a bit to be on the safe side.

Heavy duty little things.

We have one of those heaters! A friend borrowed it a while back to heat a baptismal at their church! They didn't want teeth chattering in the unheated water in winter! I told him to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and time it to see how long it took to heat that, estimate the amount of water in the baptismal and calculate the time needed plus a bit to be on the safe side.

Heavy duty little things.

Do they have thermostats?

23 chilling:

clap.gif

No, they come on when you plug them in and turn off when you unplug them. They MIGHT have something to turn them off if they get out of the water and get hot enough to start a fire, but I wouldn't count on it.

No, they come on when you plug them in and turn off when you unplug them. They MIGHT have something to turn them off if they get out of the water and get hot enough to start a fire, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well, let's figure out how to put a thermostat on it, sell it, and become millionaires! :D
Keeping the scalding temp right was the most aggravating thing.

Back
Top Bottom