Processing duck this wkend-Do I pluck same

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chooniecat, Oct 18, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    as w/chickens? Will just have pot of hot water to soak feathers briefly and simply pluck like chicken?Am assuming so. Any suggestions welcome!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I like to dry pluck the down first, to keep it for pillows. Then dunk in the hot water.

It needs a little more singeing than a chicken, but I have no idea why some people go to the trouble of waxing.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OK. Thanks. I have not the patience nor time for doing the down but that sounds neat.I generally skin my chickens but have never cooked duck and the ONLY suggestions I have gathered thusfar have been to leave the skin on and roast like chicken(which is easy/yummy) so will just leave duck in hot water a touch longer.Hope it is good as I had no desire to slaughter these ducklings but can't keep them(and they're all males unfortunately!)

4. Alaskan

You can skin the duck if you want, just cover the meat with bacon.

5. Alaskan

Oh, I should say that I think home grown duck is the best meat in the world!

If you keep the skin on, just prick it all over, and it self bastes.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Probably a little too late but I skin mine. Too many feathers, I'm too lazy and hubby has cholesterol problems. I raise Muscovy, and recently Pekin, for meat. I cook breast meat like steak, sear in a cast iron pan and finish in the oven. I usually cook leg quarters slowly on the stove top and use the meat in chili, stew and the like. I do occasionally smoke the legs.

Muscovy are lean anyway so the skin left on does little to protect the meat. The Pekin had a crazy amount of fat, about 1/4" all over. Just remember not to overcook the meat. Medium-rare. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by