Processing duck this wkend-Do I pluck same

I like to dry pluck the down first, to keep it for pillows. Then dunk in the hot water.

It needs a little more singeing than a chicken, but I have no idea why some people go to the trouble of waxing.

I like to dry pluck the down first, to keep it for pillows. Then dunk in the hot water.

It needs a little more singeing than a chicken, but I have no idea why some people go to the trouble of waxing.
OK. Thanks. I have not the patience nor time for doing the down but that sounds neat.I generally skin my chickens but have never cooked duck and the ONLY suggestions I have gathered thusfar have been to leave the skin on and roast like chicken(which is easy/yummy) so will just leave duck in hot water a touch longer.Hope it is good as I had no desire to slaughter these ducklings but can't keep them(and they're all males unfortunately!)

Probably a little too late but I skin mine. Too many feathers, I'm too lazy and hubby has cholesterol problems. I raise Muscovy, and recently Pekin, for meat. I cook breast meat like steak, sear in a cast iron pan and finish in the oven. I usually cook leg quarters slowly on the stove top and use the meat in chili, stew and the like. I do occasionally smoke the legs.

Muscovy are lean anyway so the skin left on does little to protect the meat. The Pekin had a crazy amount of fat, about 1/4" all over. Just remember not to overcook the meat. Medium-rare.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom