Processing Good Egg Layers because they're LOUD

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Mar 31, 2009.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I live in a neighborhood and I have 16 chickens. There are some chicken noises that are fine but I have about four birds that are just plain LOUD. I think my neighbor screamed out her door today saying, "SHut up birds." There so loud I can hear them inside the house and they are in the garage. One in particular isn't even a full year but she is by far the loudest. SHould I have them processed or sell them??? What would you do?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You should be able to get a good price for a producing layer. Put em up on craigslist.

3. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I would sell them. "Outside Noises" inside is by far one of the things that annoy me the most.

4. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Well...if you have good layers I would sell them on craigslist for some $$ and call it a day personally. But, if you process and consume for your family thats still a win/win for you and your neighbor [​IMG] (not for your feathered buds though). I don't know how attached you are to them....I currently have had 9 for a week and already don't think I could stomach eating any of them lol...makes me rethink my carnivore self!

5. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I am experiencing the same problem! I just listed her in the BST forum today and my next step is craigslist. We are going to move the coop this weekend and hope she stops, since it started when we moved it to where it currently is. She's been laying consistantly (5-6 a week) and I hate to get rid of her, but if we want to keep a flock we don't have a choice. I didn't think I'd be able to part with/eat her when we first got her, but after this obnoxious sound and being worried someone is going to complain I just want her gone!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I had the SAME problem. I had two that were making everybody NUTS!

I got rid of them (rehomed them to someone else from BYC) and we have peace at last!

I didn't realize that they were so loud till they were gone. Whew what a releif.

We had six for a year and the two new ones never adjusted... go figure?

Peace at last...

7. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I put an ad on Craigslist and haven't gotten one response. The same thing happened when I put my baby Aracuana chicks, no response.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, then it might be time to warm up that soup pot [​IMG]

I think for the sake of not driving your neighbors insane, you have to do something.

9. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    did you post on the trading post here?

10. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I posted about the aracauanas and got no response but maybe I could try on here. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by