Processing laws in FL?

shaft0463

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
I am about to get in some Cornish cross, and I have a friend who is interested in buying a couple from me. She would be buying them as live chickens, but I don't know what the laws are on her getting them processed. She can't do it, and I know legally I'm not allowed to do it. Could my father-in-law do it for a fee, or are there places who do this?

She lives in a subdivision, which is why I would be keeping them here to raise with mine from the same shipment.

So really, I would just ignore the whole "legally" part of this. Couple of birds, sold prior to the slaughter, that's a pet transaction.

Here is the Florida law

The Law. Florida has adopted an Animal and Animal Production Inspection and Labeling Act that requires the inspection of operations involved in the slaughtering and processing of poultry for intrastate delivery.9 Anyone processing poultry for sale in Florida must be covered either by federal inspection (for over 20,000 birds) or have their processing facility permitted by the state.

I tried to google around for you but didn't find anything readily available. Farmers markets are your best bet for finding who does it.

Yeah, that's what I was having trouble with. I know legally I can sell her the birds live after having cared for them. She's just not sure where she can go to have them processed, as the owner of the still-live birds.

Your loophole is that you would not be processing them "for sale". She buys chickens from you while they are alive. Then as the owner of the chickens she asks you to process them for free, as a favor. You then do so. There's no legal problem in that at all, because you're not processing them for sale. Make sense?

i'm confused as to why your FIL would be able to process them but not you?

i'm w/ scuba on this... no one would know unless your friend ratted you out!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom