Processing many birds at once

What are you calling 'large number' of birds? 25? 50? 100? 500?

I grow birds to feed family and friends - I give away about 1/2 of what I 'grow' be it chickens, pumpkins, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces or whatever. For our family (with teen boys and friends), a 5-8# bird leaves very little 'left-overs'! However, this is totally dependent on family size. We're raising 25 CX to take us through the winter season. Of the 25 FR's we grew last spring, I've got just 6 left....so another batch must be 'grown'. That's only 12wks worth of chickens (if we have chicken 2x/week - which is typical). Looking at it from that standpoint, I 'grow' three batches of chickens/year to feed what feels like a small army of young men!

I do not grow birds to sell. However, there are folks in this section who do make a profit from this type of endeavor. And as a fairly new-to-this individual - I'm THANKFUL for all their wisdom, advice and help! Thank goodness for caring folks willing to type up an answer on a cold fall night!

Did 18 today and another 17 tomorrow. ot sure if you consider this a large number. I am selling 25 to friends and the rest are in the freezer for me. Although I have another 28 to do in 2 weeks. May part half of them out.
So the answer is both fun and profit.

How many is a large number? We did 55 Cornish Cross. They are all in the freezer and we will eat them over the next year.

In another week, we will process 3 turkeys, 2 geese, and 3 ducks. Do everyone all at once because it takes time to set up all the equipment and to clean up afterwards. The ducks have been waiting quite awhile for someone else to be ready to butcher with the equipment all set up and ready to use.

We did 24 rabbits all at the same time, too. They are all wrapped up and in the freezer waiting to be cooked.

Back
Top Bottom