Processing Muscovys...help?

Quote:
I can't speak about ducks but I can tell you when we processed our roos my dh skinned them and it was much easier than plucking. and kuntrygirl said they skinned their muscovies and it was easier.

Ditto what Miss Lydia said.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you!

Quote:
x2

Hey kuntry, what does an Opelousas chicken look like?

lau.gif

No such thing. LOL

I just have those words in my sig so that if anyone in Opelousas is looking for chickens, etc., they can link to my website when they go online and type in "Chickens In Opelousas". It's my way of people finding me and it works wonderful.

Quote:
Hey kuntry, what does an Opelousas chicken look like?

lau.gif

No such thing. LOL

I just have those words in my sig so that if anyone in Opelousas is looking for chickens, etc., they can link to my website when they go online and type in "Chickens In Opelousas". It's my way of people finding me and it works wonderful.

Oh okay I knew I had never heard of that breed but you never know.
wink.png

I've done a few chickens over the years but only one drake. He was mean and caused no end of problems in the flock. I can tell you that plucking that duck was nothing like plucking a chicken. It took forever, and I never liked butchering anyway so the whole thing with the drake was sort of a nightmare. He was a young adult so about the same age as the birds your describing. If I ever decide to butcher another duck I will be skinning not plucking. If its your first time butchering keep in mind that it will take you a long time to get through each bird. That is the limit of my experience but like other said check the Meat birds section.

I harvest waterfowl. The only difference between processing waterfowl and chickens is in regard to the plucking. If you are going to pluck, then you will need to add some dish soap to your scald water to help the water actually make it through the feathers and to the skin. You may also want to consider the addition of paraffin to your scald water to aid in plucking. Waxing waterfowl is just about essential to get a pretty carcass.

All this extra work in this part of the process is why I generally skin my waterfowl to save time during processing.

You really ought to ask a mod to move this thread into the Meat Birds ETC section of the forum.

Good luck.

Re: skinning a duck

What's the point of duck if you've not got that crispy skin and rendered duck fat? GAAH! I'd totally spend the time and energy to pluck and wax a duck, rather than lose all that happy food. Not that I've ever plucked anything in my life, mind. But it's the principle of the thing.
smile.png

http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

Do Muscovys not get that same layer of fat under the skin that (apparently) Pekins do?

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, I'm old and need to watch my diet.

Muscovy ducks are significantly leaner than Pekins. They can still build up an impressive amount of fat, but not as much so as a Pekin.

Quote:
I will be processing my first muscovy for Thanksgiving. I was thinking skinning because I've heard plucking is murder but I figure for my first I will try to pluck so I can roast the whole thing.
fl.gif

Muscovy are leaner than Pekin. Though I think I will feed some extra corn just to try to pack on some pounds.
lol.png

Quote:
You should definitely look into waxing that bird then. Singing off the pin feathers is also supposed to be very nice, as well. Without either of those, the carcass looks pretty stubbly, or it takes FOREVER to get rid of all the pins.

I served home-grown geese a few years back for the holidays. The processing was a nightmare, but the finished product was incredible. I didn't know about the alternative methods of feather removal back then. I would do it much differently these days.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom