1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

processing pekin ducks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ladyfarmer10, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    I hope this is the right place for this.
    What age do most of you process your pekins,I would like to wait so I can tell drake from hens(age?)
    Thanks

2. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    I vent sexed our pekins at about a week old, it's fairly easy it do, much easier then chickens. It was probably about 6-7 weeks when we could voice sex them.

As far as butcher age, I don't know but I thought that I heard 7-8 weeks somewhere. Hopefully someone else can help you more

3. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    From http://www.metzerfarms.com/ProcessingWaterfowl.cfm?CustID=40751

As waterfowl have so many feathers, you want to pluck them when it is the easiest to get them all out. This is when the feathers are all mature and there are no pin (or immature) feathers. For ducks this is at about 7, 12.5 or 18 weeks of age. For geese it is normally at 9, 15 or 20 weeks of age. If you try to process between these "windows of opportunity" you will encounter large numbers of pin feathers that may double or triple your processing time and effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by