1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing procedure question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shelby69, May 14, 2009.

1. shelby69

shelby69 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    I am looking at processing 20 Cornish X over Memorial Weekend. This will be my first time for chickens. I have read the stickys here and some other resources and was wondering if you need to go from the plucking right to the evisceration or if you can chill the birds in between. I talked to a guy at work that used to work for a processor and thats how they did. They would chill the birds for 2 hours before evisceration. I was considering this only because I will be doing this by myself, so I was locking to brake up the process a bit so I'm not running around like a chicken with it head cut off.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you'd probably be fine doing that, but I've never heard of anyone doing it that way, so I couldn't say for sure.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I helped a friend of mine process some meat birds and turkeys.He bloods them then to 140 degree water for 45 seconds to 1 min,plucks them(by plucking machine)and then in to cold water until they are chilled and then out comes the insides.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by