Processing question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ixnay, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    The last couple of times we have processed Freedom Rangers, using our very best technique (bled well, scalded, plucked in a whiz-bang plucker, then into ice water), there has been some discolored (honestly, dark gray) tissue in the area around the butt. I am really, really careful about dissecting around the vent. This tissue is both fat and loose connective tissue. It's ugly. It does not wash out in the ice-water bath that the gutted birds are left in to cool. It does not seem to make a difference how warm or cool the plucked birds are before gutting.

Interestingly, we also processed 5 cornish X (for a friend of a friend) today, and there was no discoloration.

Anybody have an explanation? Solution?

TIA

Nan

2. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    Nobody has a thought about this? Surely I'm not the only one ever to see this phenomenon.

Hoping for information,

Nan

3. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I have been butchering for 30+ years and have processed 100 hundreds of the Freedom Rangers. I have seen the grayish color on birds around joints, the crop and the vent. As long as the birds are healthy I would not worry about this coloration at all. The Freedom Rangers tend to be darker meat coloration and I would truly not be concerned about it.

When you ate the chicken did you notice or smell a difference in the meat? Did the area change in color after cooking?

You might try posting some pictures of the processed birds so others can look at the area of concern but as I said before I would not worry about it.

4. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    Thanks for the reply. Can't tell you about after cooking (I've been cutting out most of the gray stuff), but there certainly is no odor. Haven't seen it any place but around the vent - in the fat and the loose connective tissue on the inside.

I'll trust your judgment that it's harmless; just wondering about the cause.

Yesterday we roasted two birds that we processed on Tuesday, and they were wonderful.

Nan

5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I've seen this in store bought chickens too. I don't worry about it. If it bothers you then cut it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by