Processing Roosters...

TC Schmidt

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I'm processing three that are just under a year and have become very aggressive. I have unfortunately had to put it off for scheduling reasons and the weather hasn't been ideal this past week so they now have some sores on their feet from the crate I have them separated in getting a little dirty. Should I be concerned about that for any reason or simply discard them and not feed them to the dogs this time?

I'm confused as to why to discard... technically they are cockerel until a year old.

Different cooking method depends on age.
Screenshot_20230620-171433.png

I usually roast at 300 to 350f
I pressure cooked birds over a year until tender. Makes the best pulled chicken and broth

I'm confused as to why to discard... technically they are cockerel until a year old.

Different cooking method depends on age.
View attachment 3659513

I usually roast at 300 to 350f
I pressure cooked birds over a year until tender. Makes the best pulled chicken and broth
I'm new to processing and and am an overly cautious person as is when it comes to food cleanliness. I just wasn't sure if they would still be fine to feed to the dogs or if I should be worried about anything.

I'm new to processing and and am an overly cautious person as is when it comes to food cleanliness. I just wasn't sure if they would still be fine to feed to the dogs or if I should be worried about anything.
AH, if you ever worked in a big processing plant or watched the Cornish Cross being unloaded you would quit eating or feeding them to your dog LOL.... my brother works at Tyson bacon plant..he quit eating bacon.
If you seen what goes into most dog food .....

If they have bumble foot, staff infection, you could cut the feet off. I have seen chicken feet for sale in the store with bumble foot. But they are meant to be cooked for broth. Cooking would kill the bacteria.
Make sure no cooked bones unless they have been cooked until they crumble

Ok thank you, we are going to be eating the meat but I just wasn't sure if the dogs would be ok eating the feet. I thought scalding them for plucking or even boiling the feet after I remove them would be ok but still wanted to ask since I'm still inexperienced when it comes to processing.

Back
Top Bottom