1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

processing runner ducks????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Feb 4, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am not sure if this would go in this section or another so please move if need be [​IMG]

I cant seem to sell my extra runner drakes. I know they are not necessarily the right bird for processing but I am running [​IMG] out of options.

If I was to do it what age would be best? I am not particularly fond of duck, so I don't think I would want to consume 4 in the next few months, although I can and will on principle.

But could I sell the meat at the farmers market with my chickens and quail or because they are not a "meat" duck should I just keep them or give them to friends???

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I would process them at 12-15 weeks, they aren't like the pekin so they would need some more time to grow.

But if your allowed to sell them at the markets than ya by all means do so. Or give them away as presents, your not going to get much meat out of them but someone should be willing to buy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by