Processing single bird in Indiana

Great question!
I am trying to figure out what I can use that I already have so I don't have to buy a bunch of stuff. I have never processed before, I certainly could do it with all the right equipment.

Have watched a bunch of videos, and try to be creative.
The other option is to re-home via a livestock auction...

Great question!
I am trying to figure out what I can use that I already have so I don't have to buy a bunch of stuff. I have never processed before, I certainly could do it with all the right equipment.

Have watched a bunch of videos, and try to be creative.
The other option is to re-home via a livestock auction...
For my first time, I printed and followed the directions in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ating-cutting-up-your-chicken-graphic.109583/

Only changes I made were using an axe and a stump to behead the chicken, and I hand-plucked. Axe and stump is cost efficient because most people have those things on hand. Just make sure the axe is sharp. If you don't have anything to scald the chicken in and don't want to buy it, there are also many videos on Youtube on how to skin a chicken. As long as you have a sharp knife to cut the chicken up with, there really shouldn't be much cost.

It seems like you have other options besides processing it yourself, but I just wanted to say that learning to slaughter and prepare one's own meat is a skill I'm glad to have learned. There are ways to do it cheaply and you never know when that skill will come in handy. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

For my first time, I printed and followed the directions in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ating-cutting-up-your-chicken-graphic.109583/

Only changes I made were using an axe and a stump to behead the chicken, and I hand-plucked. Axe and stump is cost efficient because most people have those things on hand. Just make sure the axe is sharp. If you don't have anything to scald the chicken in and don't want to buy it, there are also many videos on Youtube on how to skin a chicken. As long as you have a sharp knife to cut the chicken up with, there really shouldn't be much cost.

It seems like you have other options besides processing it yourself, but I just wanted to say that learning to slaughter and prepare one's own meat is a skill I'm glad to have learned. There are ways to do it cheaply and you never know when that skill will come in handy. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)
This is great information! I did seriously consider all options, but for now opted for the livestock auction. I was worried about neighbors ratting me out, and I may or may not be over on the number of hens I should have according to ordinances...

This is great information! I did seriously consider all options, but for now opted for the livestock auction. I was worried about neighbors ratting me out, and I may or may not be over on the number of hens I should have according to ordinances...
Fair enough! I'm just glad you found an option for the chicken. :)

You don't need equipment to process chickens to eat. You can skip all that scalding and plucking and just skin them. All you really need is a sharp knife.

Once you've humanely dispatched them you can just remove their skin with the feathers attached.

Back
Top Bottom