Processing some roosters today. Couple of questions.

RichnSteph

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Adkins Texas
Three of our four younger roosters have been drafted to attend freezer camp this week, starting today. I've looked at all the EZ chicken plucking things and the scalding pots etc.... Is there anything wrong with just taking the birds head off with a hatchet and then plucking the feathers out by hand? I don't want to buy anything to help me process the birds if I don't have to. And I hate the smell of hot wet feathers.
sickbyc.gif

RichnSteph

I've tried to dry pluck a chicken before and it was not easy. I had only one to do and didn't want to set up my scalding pot. It was so hard to do that I just ended up skinning it instead. I use my water bath canner so didn't have to buy a new pot. If you have 4 or 5 to do, I'd recommend using the largest pot you have and scalding then. Good luck

We skin our birds, you might consider doing that.

But, as part of the skinning process my Honey dry plucks most of the belly. Seems pretty easy but the skin does tear easily. He doesn't pluck the back so those feathers may be harder. I do know folks dry pluck entire birds, it's just supposed to take longer and be more of a PITA. But for just a few birds, I agree on not making a huge investment.

Cut a hole in the middle of a bucket (that is your cone) don`t chop the head off with a hatchet. It`s a rooster, the meat is going to be a bit tough as it is. Chopping the head off like that is going to turn your birds into chicken jerky when they are cooked.

Like what chickmama said, use a pot with hot water. Your just going to get way to frustrated trying to dry pluck. Also, put a bit of dish soap in the hot water too, it helps with the feathers and knocks the smell down.

Thanks folks! I watched some Youtube videos showing the upside down cone that the chickens go into and will try rigging up a bucket type like You recommend Smitty. I'm hoping that they'll not be too tough as they are only 18 weeks old. I've got a turkey fryer at the house and figure if I'm going to get the water going to scald one I might as well just process all three of them this evening and get it over with. I'll add some dish soap as well.

I've tried to dry pluck a chicken before and it was not easy.  I had only one to do and didn't want to set up my scalding pot.  It was so hard to do that I just ended up skinning it instead.  I use my water bath canner so didn't have to buy a new pot.  If you have 4 or 5 to do, I'd recommend using the largest pot you have and scalding then.  Good luck

Is the water bath canner an adequate size for this use? I'm kind of researching, as I have 2 roosters I can't seem to get rid of.

Is the water bath canner an adequate size for this use? I'm kind of researching, as I have 2 roosters I can't seem to get rid of.

A lot of that answer will depend on the size of the bird. Ours are pretty good sized birds so I'm using our turkey fryer set up over the propane burner outside.

My water bath canner is big enough to do a 7 lb bird. I do have to turn the bird over a couple of times to get to all parts.

Back
Top Bottom