Processing turkeys, how often do you eat turkey?

We cook and eat one turkey per month. We should have our program running by next spring, though, and at that time will be doing at least two per month. We have selected Bourbon Red heritage breed turks for our meat turkey project.

Good heavens, how many people are in your families eating this turkey?

One good-sized turkey typically lasts us (DH and me) about six weeks in roast turkey, turkey sandwiches, tacos, soup etc. At which point we don't want to see another turkey again for a good long while.

A good trick to making stock taste "fresh" instead of overcooked, add some eggshells. Scoop them out before using the stock, obviously, but while you're boiling, a few eggshells really helps give it a brighter, cleaner flavor.

Quote:
There is just the two of us here as well - The kids all have their own "roost" now. lol That's why we started cutting them up so we can have a smaller meal with one serving of left overs instead of eating turkey for days and days.

Steve in NC

We don't eat it enough right now, I always buy the biggest turkey I can find at the holidays which is usually only around 32 lbs and it lasts for leftovers only a day or two, never long enough for my boys.
My husband and sons love to make the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches on bulkie rolls with the leftovers.
I am thinking very seriousy about raising some this spring though and aside from holidays, keeping enough to process whole and into sections like Steve suggested.
The only problem that has been my roadblock and was also my roadblock this year is that I am afraid of getting too attached to them and not being able to go through with the master plan and I end up buying some nasty butterball again.
This year though I do have a cornish cross batch growing out now so I am getting my feet wet there, although its not like you can get attached to them like you would a turkey.
I have even narrowed down what types I want to raise to suit our families needs but again, the whole falling for them thing.
The only thing that may help is that I met someone who raises a heritage breed whos numbers are in dangerous decline , Buff or Jersey Buff turkey and he offered to set me up with some to help continue their breed.
I am thinking that if I have them to focus on as pets maybe it won't be as hard to go through with processing the turkeys.
Who knows, I guess I need to suck it up.

Quote:
Wow that's cheap. At the turkey farm near us its over $50 for a fresh turkey (And not a huge one, either) around thanksgiving and Christmas. At the grocery store its about $30 for the frozen butterball ones.
We only have it around the holidays. I want to try my own turkeys some time though.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom