Processing workshop & mobile processing unit for rent (NC)

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not. It's not mine, just a message I got in my e-mail when looking for a local processor. For those not familiar, this is in the foothills of NC. Also, I live about 15 minutes away and if anyone wants to come to my place and "car pool" to the workshop on the 26th, I have room for 6 (maybe 5 at this point) to ride along with me in my van.

I think this would be a GREAT thing. I'm anxious to attend the workshop, but also that mobile processing unit sounds awesome, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cindy, below is the press release. Please pass it along to whomever might be interested. A skilled labor force is one missing element. We trained a few of our friends who make our our processing crew who we pay. We will be holding a poultry workshop at our farm in Old Fort on Ocotber 26th that will include processing. Details will be released soon.
thanks
Casey

Foothills Family Farms is happy to announce that the Mobile Processing Unit (MPU) is complete and we are taking reservations for processing dates through December 31st, 2008. The MPU is designed for on farm processing of poultry and rabbit by the producer for personal use or sale under the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDACS) provision for inspection exempt processing. Individuals may slaughter up to 1,000 chickens or rabbits of their own raising for retail or wholesale sale without benefit of inspection. Please refer to NCDACS regulations for your particular situation.
The MPU is offered to producers within a 60 mile radius of Old Fort for $40/ daily (outside 60 miles are charged a reasonable mileage fee). The renter is responsible for pick-up and drop off of the unit in Old Fort. A capable vehicle with a 2 5/16" ball is required for towing. Currently, you must be able to attend a short training session on set-up, take-down and cleaning to be eligible to rent the unit. A training video will be available soon that will satisfy this requirement. See below for more details.

To inquire about the MPU or make a reservation, please email [email protected] (subject line "MPU") or by calling 216-2966.

This project is funded by Heifer Appalachia and Foothills Family Farms and in cooperation with McDowell Cooperative Extension and the Independent Small Animal Meat Producers Association of WNC.

What is Supplied

The MPU consists of a 20' flatbed, tandem axle trailer with the following equipment :

- Killing rack with 6 stainless steel cones

- (6) plastic poultry crates that will hold 6-10 birds each

- Featherman Scalder, propane fired, with thermostat for self regulating temperature. Also requires 110volt electrical service (standard 3 prong plug) for the thermostat unit

- Featherman Plucker, requires 110volt electrical service (standard 3 prong plug).

- 10' stainless steel evisceration table with 4 drop down sprayers.

- (2) 6' chilling tanks for a carcass chilling capacity of 150 5lb birds.

- Sanitizer gun for garden hose

- The unit is plumbed internally for the plucker and evisceration table from a 4 way manifold that allows for an extra multi purpose hose for filling the scalder and cleaning the deck.

- A Ground Fault Indicator (GFI) to provide protection to operators and equipment in wet locations. The plucker, scalder and any other electrical equipment must be plugged into the GFI, which is then plugged into your electrical source.

What you will Need to Provide

- 110 volt electrical supply (common household 3 prong plug)

- Propane canister- a 20lb. grill type tank is recommended for 6-8 hours of processing

- Knives- should be extremely sharp.

- Water source from typical garden hose, ¾" recommended.

- 5 gallon buckets- you'll need several of these for offal, feathers, feet, heads, etc. Also useful for "hand wash" buckets.

- Hand sprayers (garden/household type) for periodic sanitizing of surfaces, knives.

- Household bleach for disinfecting unit after use.

- Ice- figure 1.5lbs per bird

- Bags or other packaging for birds

Reccomended:

- Shelter, tent barn or other form of protection from the elements. In the future we may be able to supply this with rental.

- Portable Fans. We use a strong "squirrel cage" type fan that is capable of moving a lot of air. On hot days these can help keep you cool and comfortable as well as keep the flies at bay.

That is pretty good to know. Sadly, I don't have any meat birds right now but I will file the information away for later.

Back
Top Bottom