1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mylilchix, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

One of our RIR hens died today. It appears that she broke her neck. We'd like to processor her, but we don't have time tonight. What can I do with the body in the mean time?
    Thanks, Sonja

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but maybe at least cut her head off and let her bleed out? If it's cold enough where you are, maybe hang it until tomorrow. I know that's what we do with deer but have no idea if that will work with chickens but I don't see why not.

Sorry about your bird btw -

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Personally, i wouldn't eat it if you found it dead. I didn't even eat big cornish x bird who died at some point between being put out back and me getting the knife. I gave it to the animals instead.

4. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I dont think its a good idea to eat any animal that you didnt kill yourself, and you need to process it immediately. I'd say 30 minutes or less from the time of death.

5. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I wouldn't eat it.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I wouldn't eat it either especially if you are really not sure why it died.

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I don't know much but I do know you have to gut it immediately

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    don't do it. ack.

purr is right. the processing needs to be within a quick amount of time and the body needs to be brought down in temp quickly to keep 'fresh'.

9. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    I honestly wouldn't eat it my self, simply because you don't know if it was sick for a while beforehand, but I know a lady who found a dead duck on the side of the road, picked it up and found out that it was still warm, took it home, had her two kids disect it and then ate it. It all depends on your perspective.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I would not eat a bird that died without me killing it.. I also do not butcher disabled birds or sickly birds..

My wife, on the other hand, would...

I throw away cracked eggs if I find them that way in the nest..

My wife saves every egg.. I throw them away when she is gone and she thinks I used them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by