Processor in Indiana

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bnentrup, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Guys,
    I am trying to find a USDA processor for poultry in Indiana. I made 20-calls, and found one about 2-hours away. I suppose 2-hours will be fine if I were processing a large number, but will not be this round. I will indeed process a majority for myself, but offer to others processing via USDA for a surcharge (that would cover the processors fee and my gas).

My goal is to start small (with my batch of 40-50), obtain some loyal customers, and see where this goes! Regardless, I would like to see who others use for their central Indiana processing.

thanks!

2. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
  3. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:thanks! That is the only one I found as well, and is a 1.5 hr drive for me- a bit more than I want to drive (again, unless I am processing 100+ birds).

4. tagra123

tagra123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Lima, Ohio
    Indiana -- Are there any Amish near you that may point you in the right direction.?

5. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I drive an hour and fourty five minutes, then I wait and drive back. I don't have a processor near me, and I know this one is good.

The USDA just said last week that they know their are too few small processing facilities for beef, pork and poultry.

Why do you need the USDA stamp? I need a state ag stamp to sell inside the state in Ohio.

6. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:well, one of the farmer markets,and i assume others..require a stamp. I tried to educate them based on the QTY and USDA national laws, but they just want a simple answer of 'have a usda stamp'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by