Product questions..and ramblings of a dad with 'Cabin Fever' LOL......

Mr.Dad

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
North Jersey
It's official...we've been adopted by three chickens and they are now officiallly ours.....

They are a rag tag group that's used to roaming and kinda fending for themselves....I'm planning to order this stuff and was hoping for comments....the hens have runny stools and it's stuck to their feathers in the back...not sure if that's serious, once they become more comfortable I'll clean them up.....one was really droopy acting four days ago but I think it was dehydrated because it has come around mood wise the past couple days......the mild weather seems to be helping them all as well....the roosters frostbite encompasses his entire comb and the 'droppy' hen has it as well....the third is in much better (appearing) shape...

Roosters name is now "King"...reason: if he looses his crown we'll still consider him a king
smile.png

Frost bitten hen's name is "Frosty"....reason
wink.png

Second hen's name is "Decker"...reason: we found recently our dream home/property on Decker Ave (just not sure it's gonna work out, that's another story)

Comments on the products below? (or any thing else we should give them?)

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Health_and_Sanitation-Diatomaceous_Earth__5_lb_bag-P148.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Health_and_Sanitation-Vitamins___Electrolytes__Plus_-P179.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-pics-Poultry-Grit-P53.aspx

Last edited:
DE
Don't bother IMHO. Plenty of people on here (including me) have perfectly healthy chickens and have never used DE.

Vitimins and Electrolytes
Yep, good, they are only normally given in times of illness.

Grit
This is only the type that grinds up their food in their crop, they will also need oyster shell for the calcium. Given all year round, regardless of health etc.

CONGRATULATIONS!

first link is to DE---personally use it, love it....always brings lots of debate...but my decision was to use it

second link is to vit-e---I"ve used it a little when I first got chickens and will also add some to water IF I get a new weak chicken. Good to have on hand- but if you ask Dianna (who does a lot of research on this kind of stuff)--she prefers a product called avia charge 2000. Don't use either in galvenized waterers--use plastic.

third link is to grit----they freerange--they don't need it---

now I would add oystershell to your shopping list. Give it to them freechoice in a bowl or other small feeder. Amount they use will vary upon their diet and egg production.

hope this helps
Sandra

Quote:
Well that's out, thank you I wasn't aware of that....but it makes sense the way it works on other things.....

The studies I've read regarding damage to lungs is for POOL FILTER DE- not food grade DE which is what your link brings you to. POOL DE has been altered through a heating process.....If you choose to use DE, just make sure it's food grade DE. PermaGuard is one of the more popular U.S. Suppliers.

Now if you can't handle dust in general (such as when you empty a feed bag), use one of those paper masks. I don't, but I don't go inhaling it daily either.

Sandra

I just wanted to add a few words on DE, I have used it off and on for 4 years. I add a 1 lb coffee can to a 50 lb bag of feed. It has lots of trace minerals and it is reported to keep intestional parasites in check. I use it in nesting boxes for creeping things. I don't think you would have to worry about the lund issue with a program as I have just described. Here is a link for a much better price http://www.dirtworks.net/Worm-Tea.html. I am not sure about the intestionl parasites. I don't have problems with worms but I do worm twice a year as well. It is very dusty so I no longer use it on the floor under the bedding. I do notice the birds do have drier ploop when I am using DE and it does help control flies in the summer. The controversy will rage on about it value, but in reality it is in many of the foods we eat daily. Food Grade DE is an anti caking agent. It is in tooth paste and many other cosmetics. I doubt it will do you any harm and I am not sure it does you chickens any good. I use it because it seems to keep them well. I put it in a empty dish soap container and poof them occasionally for possible lice or mites.

I also use DE for gardening in place of insecticides. I can tell you for sure it knocks out ants like nothing I have ever seen. Sprinkle it on the hill and the are gone. Not sure where but they aren't in your yard anymore.

The other products you mention have been covered well. I only provide grit for babies that are not able to go outside with mama. They should get all the grit they need for ranging.

If you have a local feed store, you can get both V&E and grit there and save yourself the shipping.

By the way congrats to your chickens for escaping the neighbors and finding you. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom