Product recommendation for flies

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Living on a farm there's plenty of flies. Not only was there flies on the porch where the chicks are, but there was flies everywhere. It's a common practice in this area to dump used chicken litter from the commercial houses on the meadows to help the bermuda grass grow. Talk about flies!
barnie.gif

Anyhow, I bought these fly traps at Walmart, sold under the brand name Rescue. They consist of a plastic yellow trap that you attach to the included plastic bag after you fill it with water. The bag contains a dried chemical.
I hung one on the porch where the chicks are and one outside the back door. There is not A SINGLE fly anywhere near the chicks, nor are there any in the house. The one outside the back door has literally hundreds of flies trapped in it. They've made a believer outta me, so I thought I'd pass this along. It does say not to use indoors due to an odor they give off, but I haven't noticed the odor outside.

THANKS! you are a life saver! My dads biggest peeve is flies. He has been complaining because of the hot humid weather we have been having plus putting my chickens in the new coop we must have a hundred flies! I have been cleaning the coop everyday and collecting all the spilled chick starter but they keep multiplying! Going to buy this right NOW!
tongue.png

Quote:
We live surrounded by commercial chicken houses and the cows that roam our pastureland (we lease the pasture to a neighboring farmer) seem to wander our whole place, but then come back to our front gate to poo. Believe me, at this point smell is relative.
tongue.png

Lanissa86, I forgot to mention that they do seem to take a few days to really kick in.

Just make sure to change them out often, here in Fl the smell comes fast! If I leave them out to long it smells like dead bodies and the vultures start to circle- no really! It really attracts the flies then, HaHa:p

Thanks so much for recommending the Rescue fly traps. I put 2 up in the chicken yard yesterday, and there are already thousands of flies in them.

So, how long before changing them? Just let the nose factor be your guide?

I also use the Rescue. They do work good, but the smell can knock you down. Don't get it on your skin or clothes or it is immediate shower time. We have hogs fairly close to our chickens and so I hang the Rescues in with the hogs and use the old sticky strips in the chicken house where there aren't as many flies. The sticky strips work really well for me also; they just look nasty.

Back
Top Bottom