Production blue

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
Ok, I know I've asked this before but I'm having a hard time believing this is a cockerel. I put a picture a few days back of him and he does have a bit of wattle growth and they are red. Or they were on the picture. This is today, about 5 weeks old. The comb is still so small. Yesterday I wanted to check out my other chicks and when I caught one I was sure a girl, I looked at her wattles and they were super red. I was pretty bummed because I had bought all pullets and now thought I had 2 cockerels. Well, I held her for a while and she fell asleep on my lap. Pale wattles (and I say wattles but they arent grown.) So could this still possibly be a pullet even with some wattle growth? Do either australorps or RIRs have early wattle development because that's what production blues are a mix of

Attachments

• 20200407_192841.jpg
    20200407_192841.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 30
The pic screams girl to me.
So, heres a pic from a few days ago which is why others thought boy. This chick is really throwing me for a loop

This was after a chase. May explain the red but not the development of the wattles. The comb is just so small and pale which is why I'm questioning. That's why I asked if australorps or RIRs had early wattle development.

Attachments

• 20200407_223537.jpg
    20200407_223537.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 25
Mine looked like that at 5 weeks, at which people here also said boy. But it looks like they are girls, judging off of the development at 12 weeks. I would say yours is a girl. Here are mine when they were 5 weeks old:
IMG_4450.JPG
IMG_4441 (1).JPG

Mine looked like that at 5 weeks, at which people here also said boy. But it looks like they are girls, judging off of the development at 12 weeks. I would say yours is a girl. Here are mine when they were 5 weeks old:
View attachment 2079836View attachment 2079837
Oh good. I'm wondering if they have early wattle development. None of mine have a comb anywhere near that size. Heres another one of mine but I have 5 and they all have about the same size comb. Just one has wattle development, another has a tiny bit of development and the other 3 have none.

Attachments

• 20200404_185733.jpg
    20200404_185733.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 21
Oh good. I'm wondering if they have early wattle development. None of mine have a comb anywhere near that size. Heres another one of mine but I have 5 and they all have about the same size comb. Just one has wattle development, another has a tiny bit of development and the other 3 have none.
Yeah, I think you're fine. If he were male you would see a much larger difference.

Yeah, I think you're fine. If he were male you would see a much larger difference.
That's what I keep thinking. I keep seeing cockerels at this age with huge combs and getting confused in why mine has such a small comb. And theres not much about this breed of chickens. I guess we'll just wait and see. Fingers crossed he ends up a she.

That is a pullet. Mine will lay a large light brown egg every other day on average. She started laying at about 20 weeks.
Oh I am feeling so much better now. This one is my sons chicken and I was trying to convince my husband to keep him. We are allowed roosters but he didnt want to upset our neighbors. My son was so sad thinking we would have to get rid of him. Hes definitely going to feel so much happier.

Back
Top Bottom