1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kscottjoyce, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Just wondering what "production chicken" means and if it is a good or a bad thing. Thank you for any response!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It simply means it has adequate production of laying to approach commercial viability. This generally means, under the right feed and other conditions, that you could expect 6 eggs per week of egg production. This is neither good/bad. It is what it is. A productive hen.

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah what fred said.
    And as far as if it is a bad thing, it depends on what you look for in a chicken,if you are looking for eggs mainly but dont really want to show the chicken, then it's a good thing but if you want this chicken for showing then it's a bad thing as this production chickens do not meet the standards for showing.
    They are still wonderful beautiful chickens tho.

4. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Well I think they are wicked cute and not looking to show them at all. So bonus if they are bred to lay more eggs. I just have chickens as pets and the eggs are a bonus, no showing happening. Thanks for the information!

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You will love them, in my experience they are caml friendly birds, and they lay big I mean big brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by